Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Muscle spasms after most recent surgery

aprilmarieaaprilmarie North Carolina Posts: 4
edited 11/02/2016 - 11:01 AM in Scoliosis
Hello everyone. I'm new here and would like to know if anyone had had similar experiences. To start....I had my first fusion from t1-l1 in 1997 when I was 13. In 2010 I had the hardware removed because one of the hooks at the top was digging into a muscle. June 28th of this year I had another fusion from t10-l4 to correct a curve caused by the first fusion. I know Im not totally healed yet, but i have had alot more pain than any of the first two. I have 2 jobs and a two year old. The past 2 weeks I have been out of work because of what they say are muscle spasms with nerves being pinched. It is by far the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I'm usually very active and consider myself to be in pretty good shape. The doctors have me on pain meds and muscle relaxers and I'm still not getting much releif. This is not the quality of life that I expected at all. I feel the surgeon did an excellent job but they can't give me any kind of answers now. My question is....has anyone had muscle spams like this and did they ever go away? What did you do to get relief if any? I have an appt with a pain intervention clinic and I'm scared to even go.  I'm getting so upset and discouraged about this whole situation. The bills are piling up and I have a beautiful two year old that I need to be here for. What are any suggestions?
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,447
    Hi aprilmarie

Please click on this link for useful information

Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,299
    Hi aprilmarie!
    You have been through a lot!!! I havent had surgery yet, and have been getting facet injections for my pain-once they knocked down the pain from the facets it became obvious to me that i have a spasmed iliopsoas on my right side which just makes things awful for sciatica and doesnt help pinched nerves in my facet joint!. It is exquisitely painful to say the least!!! One thing that has helped me is pressure point therapy...it hurts-but it is worth it to help get some relief!!  Muscle relaxants help me a bit but have a nasty habit of messing with my blood pressure....Basically my pt showed me how to do it - i was going broke having it done lol.  I find a spot that is very sore in the muscle when pushed on-and push...gently but persistently while taking long deep breaths....it will eventually ease up and then move to the next spot. I didnt believe it would help me, but it does and i can do this anywhere and anytime that a muscle acts up.  It really has helped me a lot and i am hoping to address all the spasms prior to surgery so they do  not have to manhandle and stretch things too badly in surgery. Maybe it could help you? Sometimes it is called trigger point therapy or trigger point massage...
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • aprilmarieaaprilmarie North Carolina Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice from you both! I will definitely mention that to the doctor when I go. When I lay on the side that hurts it actually makes the pain go away some. Maybe the trigger point ther any is worth a shot. Again, thank you so much. Im so glad I found this site and can talk to people who have what I have or something similar. It's very hard to get "straight" people to understand what I'm going  through and have been since I was 13. I'm 32 now and I feel like it's the huge black cloud that just hangs there....now a days it's seems like more thunderstorment than rain bows lol
    LOL i do that too...if my right side hurts SOOOO much i lie on that side for a bit, i think it helps to take some of the strain off the muscle from trying to hold me up. and horizontal on the floor or a hard mattress also helps, so i'm convinced gravity on earth is just simply too strong. LOL. (problem with laying on the floor is eventually somehow i have to get up again....) hang in there, hopefully your dr will also have some ideas. for me the pressure point and then very very gently strengthening seemed to help, but then my curve progressed and i'm right back where i started with the spasms and pain, so it's a circular thing for me now until i'm "fixed" i think. good luck! hope you find some relief! keep us updated-maybe if something works for you it will work for me too!
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• aprilmarieaaprilmarie North Carolina Posts: 4
    I sure will keep you updated! I'm convinced that they should let people with scoliosis go live on the moon lol. I did go back to work at one job for the last 2 days. It was a struggle, but I have to push myself. I slept a little better last night but the pain still wakes me up alot. I'm always hoping it's a nightmare but nope...real life:(...i now have a spot from l4- pelvis that is starting to get a slight curve. On top of that my whole cervical spine down to t1 is a 43 degree curve! What...how....when did that happen! Just gotta keep pushing on I guess. Nobody is perfect but I sure wish sometimes that I were close to it
  • advertisement
    Hi aprilmarie!! 
    Well i got through my surgery and doing well but wow muscle spasms on my left by my ribs. Stop me dead!!! Drs gave me baclofen which has helped immensely. I still also find laying on the side with the spasm helps it at least push against the bed and not me lol. 

The moon or outer spae would be wonderful (knowing my luck i would get space sick lol). I am pleasantly surprised at the recovery-its not easy butnot impossible. Just wish i wouldnt wake up all the time all night....
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator

advertisement