Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Your own bone or donor bone

Comments

• Really curious question - I am very curious as the BMP is bovine generated (bovine does mean cow, right? ;) )

• Don't worry you won't start mooing or snorting.

I think they use human bone but ask your doc. I'm sure with the make-up of the bone they would almost have to.
  • advertisement
  • With a moo moo here, and a moo moo there
    Old McDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I tend to agree with a lot of what tamtam has said. A single level fusion has a very high rate of success for fusion. However, when you get to three and four levels, the rate of non-union gets to a double digit percentage (I've seen varying reports).

With my first surgery, I was not even given an option of whether to use cadaver or my own bone. It never even crossed my mind. Surgeon just told me he would be using cadaver bone in peek spacers. Well...we finally gave up on fusing, and I had a revision done 2.5 months ago for a non-union (also known as pseudo-arthrosis, simply means the bone didn't fuse to my own bone). You better bet I used my own bone this time around, and since it was a revision, the surgeon added some bmp. Believe me and tamtam, posterior is MUCH harder to recover from than anterior ACDF. My advice would always be to suck it up and endure a little hip pain to save yourself the pain of having to go through the whole thing all over again. But as always, discuss it with your doctor.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I learn a lot here. I'm grateful I have some place to go to ask questions that are on my mind. I'm not having surgery yet, but I think I'll need multi-levels according to the last N/S I saw. So, I may be going with my own bone. ---Mazy
advertisement