Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please help, any comment, advice is appreciated (first time radiculopathy sufferer)

I'm sorry if this problem has been discussed before, I couldn't find any thread that describes my symptoms exactly in the search function.

I am 27/male/5'8/180 pounds

I moved a heavy weight (100 pound cinderblock) on Oct 28th. For the first 2 hours, I had a slight discomfort in my left buttocks, kind of the like the one when you stretch your hamstrings, except it was constant. It grew worse over the next hour or so, and by the afternoon of the 28th, I had full blown extreme pain in my left buttocks. I went to an urgent care clinic where they prescribed me muscle relaxants and steroids to cope with the pain. After a few more hours of agonizing pain, it subsided a little bit. I fell asleep around midnight and when I woke up a few hours later, the pain was gone. The next couple of days I had pain, but only when walking or standing on my left leg. By the 3rd day, the pain was completely gone, however it was replaced by numbness on the inside of my left foot (side facing my right foot), and numbness in my outter calf (side facing away from my right leg). I also cannot raise my left toe. I can't raise my left foot all the way either. It feels like the nerve controlling the muscles in the front of lower left leg isn't working properly. I cannot walk on my left heel at all.

After the urgent care clinic made a follow up call on the 1st Nov, they immediately told me to go back since they thought I couldn't raise my foot at all, but I was relieved to be told it wasn't an emergency since I could still raise my left foot a little, just not 100%. They refered me to a neurosurgeon for an MRI, but since I have no insurance, I am hoping this problem will heal on it's own. As the days go by, and I see no improvement, I am beginning to become more and more scared for my situation. I really hope this isn't permanent nerve damage.

I know googling symptoms isn't recommended, but it sounds like a "partial" drop foot, which scares me to death.

Any thoughts, comments, or advice is deeply appreciate. I apologize ahead of time if this is a repeat thread or someone with the same problems.
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi
    Can't diagnose through the internet but I had similar symptoms. Search for "sciatica." Mine was caused by a herniated disc. If it gets really bad, you may be able to go to the er. They can't turn you away. Also, I beleive November is ooen enrollment for Obamacare. You may be able to get insurance that way.Good luck!
    Ellen 
  • hello, heavyiron8!

while the internet is certainly a wonderful tool (it brought you here, after all!), it can sometimes cause us more anxiety as we try to figure out what is going on with our health!!

i also encourage you to try to secure health insurance! in the meantime, perhaps you might be able to redirect your internet searches to look for community help services that may be able to temporarily assist you with your healthcare needs?

i'd like to welcome you to spine-health! please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/66152/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-spine-health-how-get-started
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • I forgot to mention I don't have any lower back pain at all. And the pain in my buttocks and legs are completely gone. All I have left is numbness and inability to completely raise my left foot at the ankle (muscles can only move ankle partially). It's strange because most people seem to have pain of some sort that last a while. Mine only lasted half a day, then I'm left with numbness and weakness
  • tjlazerttjlazer TacomaPosts: 44
    edited 12/14/2016 - 4:32 PM
    You need to get an MRI to see if the nerve is still being compressed.  Also recommend you do spinal decompression or see a chiropractor to see if that will help.  First step is an MRI, if you do not do this you are taking a huge risk for permanent nerve damage.  Not trying to scare you but I am speaking from personal experience.  I had the exact same thing happen to me.  After onset, back pain/leg pain went away and was left with foot and leg numbness.  Took the docs a year to find out I had moderate foraminal stenosis at L5/S1 and NOT a disc protrusion like originally thought (was minor and didn't explain symptoms)
advertisement