Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

3 days till ACDS

Kind of worried. Not sure what to expect when I wake up. 

Ill try to post how it goes. 
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    ACDF?? Expect pain - sore throat - and the need to yell at the nurses and doctors for more pain medicine.

Best of outcome - keep us posted,

Bones
    My Story below
  • RedsdadRRedsdad MissouriPosts: 9
    Well that doesnt sound terribly encouraging :)

I get it though. Ive learned the pain meds must be taken on the right schedule or doesnt work right. Thanks. 
  • advertisement
    17 Hours & counting.......
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    edited 11/14/2016 - 8:44 AM
    Redsdad

Not all results are the same. Many of us have not had pain after surgery. The sore throat thing is common, but not terribly bad.

I had the nurses chasing me around the halls because I was always up and running.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745
    edited 11/14/2016 - 2:06 AM
    ACDF?? Expect pain - sore throat - and the need to yell at the nurses and doctors for more pain medicine.

Best of outcome - keep us posted,

Bones
    My Story below
    If I could have yelled for more pain meds, I would have. My throat was too swelled up to swallow or yell. Had to get my caretaker to yell at nurses for me after both cervical surgeries. I need a morphine drip or morphine pills after mine.

Good luck with your ACDF.
  • advertisement
    Hi all, sorry its taken so long to post. Had 2 level ACDS on Nov 8 2016. C5-6 & 6-7. Surgery was at 8:00 am and took appox 4 hrs till I woke up in recovery.
    Had typical very sore throat, very tired & generally weak. Moved to room by approximately 2 pm. Had a happy button that allowed me to self administer for pain. I found it took about 10 to 15 mins for the button to re-light so I could press again.

The first 12 hours or so I used it a lot. It really helped to get sleep. Was on liquid only diet till about 1pm on day 2 nov, 9. Got released to go home about 6pm day2 nov9.

The first 3, 4, 5 days were ok. Had oxy pills and could take 1 to 3 evry 3 hrs. By day 5 had weened self off of those. Perhaps a big mistake, the next day I got a whole new set of nerve pains on the outsides of both shoulders. So I went back on the oxy pills. First one then 2 every 3 hrs. Stayed on this for a couple of days.

The shoulder pain on left side went away in a day or two. Right side still hung on. Checked with dr office, thy said it was a side effect of all the stuff moved during surgery, and should go away on it's own.

On day 8 following surgery went to general dr. Got a flu shot. Was still taking 2 oxy every 3. Didnt eat much that day and got sick to stomach that eve.

To combat the stomach and urge to vomit I stopped oxy and drank a lot of water. Next day sick feeling subsided but left me feeling very weak.

I had started walking before stomach issue and had worked up to about 4 city blocks. After stomach sickness was barely able to walk 100 feet.

I should add bowels did not move until day 6 following surgery and not again till 5 days after that. 2nd one was yesterday nov 18.

So I quit oxy on eve of nov 16 and am starting to get my strength back. Walked a lot today. Still feel a lil weak but am walking slow and resting a lot when feel tired. Not pushing anything except just getting out of chair and walking. Not fast and taking walker with for saftey.

Well thats all for now. More later.

advertisement