Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Numb left heel, calf tightness

Hello:  I was unable to walk but a few feet at a time without having to decompress my spine.  It was 14 days from the time of injury until an emergency disectomy at l5, s1.  I am having numbness on my left heel.  my calf is tight and feels like I have strained it, although I know it is from left nerve root compression.  I was wondering if anyone else shares this experience?  If so, how are you handling it?  What do u think your future will be like?  What has the doctor said?  I'm a 40 yr old male that use to run 8 miles before breakfast or use the gym every morning.  Does a tens unit help the nerves regrow?  What about a subsequent surgery?  Thanks for your input.  
Peace and Love
advertisement

Comments

• Hello! I was really worried after my l5/s1 microdiscectomy because my leg pain and foot numbness (left side) were way worse than pre-op. My surgeon seemed to think this was normal, and from others on this site I also felt relief to hear this wasn't my case alone. My left calf is also very tight, as it was pre-op, because that's where the sciatic nerve branches off. I've done some really light stretching, but be gentle, overdoing it can cause inflammation that won't help you at all! If you are worried about ANY symptoms you are feeling, you should message your surgeon. Good luck to you, I understand what you're going through, as do a great deal of us here!
  • Thanks for responding.  I appreciate it more than you know.   How long ago was your surgery?  Is it getting better physically?  Is it getting better emotionally?  
      I spoke with the surgeon today.  He said he believed that I would heal.  His physician assistant said the same thing yesterday.  I am having to trust them.  trust is difficult for me but not impossible.  I never met them before the need for an emergency surgery, so I am having to trust them after the fact.  Consequently, I can have hope today that healing is possible.  
    please text or call me, if u feel safe or up to it.  I would love to hear your story.
    Peace and Love,
    -Jeff
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Jeff

How long ago was your surgery?

I agree with what Retailpain said. Some is normal, stretching is good (but be sure that your surgeon agrees) and when in doubt ask your surgeon.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Hi Bruce:  I'm on day 6, disectomy, 12mm herniated disc (1.2 cm)  How about you?  
    How are you doing today?  
    You have dogs that u walk or anything like that? 
    -Jeff
  • Hi Bruce:  I read your story.  You have been through the ringer.  How is it today?  Do u have pain and/or numbness?  
  • advertisement
  • Hi retailpain:  can I please get your phone number?  
advertisement