Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Has anyone here have....

Has anyone on here have a 5 level fusion?? or anything close to it? What was the recovery like? What should I expect? I'm having a 5 level thoracic fusion in December.. very nervous.
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Jenniferrrr

Thoracic fusion is somewhat uncommon, so I am afraid that you won't get much response. But hopefully someone will jump in, I do know that we have members who have thoracic problems.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Thank you Bruce for your response. and yeah I'm afraid of that as well. I'm just very nervous and don't know what to do at this point, was just hoping for someone who has a common issue like mine.
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Don't rule out someone responding with experience. I just wanted to set an expectation, and let you know that the rest of us are listening to you and care about your outcome.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Thank you so much! I definitely needed to hear that :)
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Jenn,

Is it for scoliosis ? That is a large surgury in thoracic area. If its scoliosis I have seen some amazing surgical outcomes on surguries with more levels. Are you doing the invasive approach where rib removed and lung deflated?

I am a thoracic person and I have to ask you the same as I ask everyone.

1. Have you tried ESI ?
    2. Did you have discogram ?
    3. How many fusions has the surgeon done specifically in thoracic area
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • Hello :) nope its not from scoliosis. I've done competitive cheer my whole life and I have a herniated disc, and 3 degenerative discs from T7-T11.. I've done PT and a chiropractor before and nothing seemed to help. I've asked the surgeon how many fusions he has done and he says anywhere from 300-400 a year, but I didn't ask specifically about thoracic fusions. I have a follow up with him again next week and I think ill definitely ask him that next time!
  • rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 147
    Hi jennifferrrr. 
    I haven't had my surgery yet, and mine is to correct a scoliosis curve, but I'm having T4 to sacrum fused in march.  I'm terrified! 
    Did you have your surgery yet?
  • Hi Jenniferrrr
    checking in on you, did you have your surgery?    I also suffer from a thoracic herniation and bone spurs with severe thoracic pain.  I am interested to hear how your sugery went and how you are feeling.  Wishing you a quick recovery.
    kelly 
    kelz
  • Hi, my name is Daryl. I am 5 weeks post on on nmy first TLIF (Transforaminol Lumber Interbody Fusion) at the L3/4, L5/S1 levels. I am 3 weeks post on from my second TLIF because the surgeon had to readjust the Pedicle screen at the S1 level. Since then,  I have had near constant pain in the tips of my toes, sometimes so bad it brings me near tears. I am told it's the nerves regenerating, and that this could take awhile. I currently take Hydrocodone, Gabapentin, Valium, and sometimes Oxycodone if the pain is too intense. The question I have is if there is something stronger, more effective for pain, or Can I do something  (anything) to help these nerves regenerate faster? I would highly appreciate any suggestions. I can be reached here on this discussion forum, or at dwmoyer2526@gmail.com 

Thank you so much.
advertisement