Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Sciatic pain while sleeping

Hello everyone. I am new to this site hoping to gain some knowledge.
I have a very hard bed, its actually pretty old. I've been sleeping on it for about 10 years. Still pretty firm. I do not weigh that much about 120 lbs.
I have noticed that over the years i have been sleeping on it that i personally believe its my sciatica nerve, its right on my side by my buttocks area. I do not know what else this could be but I have a good hunch its sciatic nerve pain. I've tried some alternatives such as getting a 3 inch foam topper it helped with my sciatic pain (since my leg was not digging into the hard mattress) but noticed i was getting more frequent headaches. As soon as I removed the foam topper, I am now getting the pain in my leg again. My question is how do i fix this without getting the sciatic nerve pain and headaches? If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would be highly appreciated. Having pain is never any fun. It would be nice to enjoy a good nights sleep again.
advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 651
    Have you tried any props while sleeping? I no longer use a pillow under my head. Most nights I use a 3" soft foam roller under my neck. The thought here is to put the proper cervical curve back to my neck. Often times I also use a 2" roller under my low back to help create the proper lumbar curve. Sometimes if I don't want the rollers I'll use a pillow under my knees. In any situation though, I do sleep strictly on my back (supine), and try to rest my hands on my chest around my diaphragm region. I sleep on a very old mattress so I'm of the belief that my mattress has very little to do with hindering or helping any pains I may experience. Probably more about the sleep position the does the trick.

As for the sciatic nerve...it's not hard to figure out if that's the pain you're experiencing. It's the largest nerve we have so its not uncommon for people to experience different symptoms and levels of pain.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Surferchick86 !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement