Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Will i ever need scoliosis surgery?

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 14 years old. I have been seen by an Orthopaedic surgeon now for the last 4.5 years and my spine has been slowly progressing. Now 19, I recently went for an X-Ray and I was measured at 48 degrees thoracic, and 46 degrees in the lumbar region. It's been hard because I'm kind of in a grey area now, where it will be hard to tell if I will keep progressing. My doctor doesn't think I will need surgery because he thinks I've stopped growing, but I have experienced a good amount of pain at times, and the way my body shape is now bugs me. Over the years I've noticed how increased curvature of my spine has made my left rib much more prominent than the other, and a large hump sticking out when I look at the right side of my back. I do hot yoga quite frequently to build strength in my back, but it can be hard to twist, and move my back sometimes, because I'm more flexible on one side. I honestly kind of want the surgery to make my body look more symmetrical, but it would definitely inhibit some of my flexibility I have now. It does worry me for the future, wondering if I'll need it, especially when it comes to having a baby and the extra weight put on your spine.
advertisement

Comments

• rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 148
    I can't say what will or won't happen to you, but my scoliois did progress. For me having babies was very hard on my back. I had my first at 19 and my second at 23. 
    I can understand wanting to look symmetrical, I feel the same way, it really bothers me. But I wouldn't have surgery just because of that. I am scheduled for surgery March 9 and my curve is 57 degrees. Also I have heard many stories of women who have had their babies after fusion. 
    Is it possible to see another doctor for a second opinion? 
    My doctor said 48-50 is that in between area where they don't like to jump to surgery. I'm 35 now and have known I had scoliosis since I was 12, and 10 years ago my curve was 36 degrees. So 21 degree change in 10 years. 
    Good luck with everything. 
  • Thank you so much! I hope your surgery goes well! I feel a lot better now about having children in the future from your story. I'm  from Nova Scotia and we have the worst wait times in Canada for orthopaedics with this surgery in particular at a 2 year delay. I feel like if I went to another doctor they would give me the same opinion, so I'm not really sure if it would benefit me. 
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,044
    There is a great discussion started by WLLady called my scoliosis. Very informative and, she's from Canada too, and understands the healthcare system.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,220
    Hiya!! 
    Yep the canadian system does have its challenges.  Dealing with a slightly different cause of scoliosis here but its still scoliosis regardless....mine is degenerative...i may have had a slight scoli when i was a young adult but if anything it was small....2 years ago everything fell over and now i am 70 last time i was officially measured. If you can still do things and have time a second opinion may help...i know i have no time and i have to do something sooner than later because every week is worse than the one before. I am scheduled for surgery soon...this month. 
    Maybe you can ask you dr about options-i know one discussion i had with mine was if i do nothing then what....and if i do surgery then what...and if i dont do now could i do later....he was very helpful...might be a discussion worth having. He told me things that i would not have thought to ask honestly...
    Hang in there. I am happy you dont have to "must do surgery or else" right now...that you have some time...
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Igates1234 !

Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
advertisement