Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Got to fly home day after op

Hi All

I Am having a S1L5 laminotomy with discectomy on the 14th of December. my surgeon has said that I will be able to fly home the next day on the 15th it will be a 20min train ride followed by a 35min flight home. my question is has anybody experienced doing a similar trip the day after or will it be to much.
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    Hey Allan,

Until you have the surgery - and he has actually seen your pathology and done repair - replace - and knows how well you tolerated surgery etc .... There is no way to determine exactly what you will be able to do and/or when.

Each patient and surgery are as unique as snowflakes - no two are the same. Because there maybe a typical post op time - that doesn't mean it would be shorter or longer for you.

I have learned to error on the side of caution.  No surgeons nearer home? 

Regards,

MN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,265
    I dont know about that.  With any of my surgeries, there was no way I could fly even after many weeks.   I was cleared to fly, but from a comfort point it did not make sense.

You need to think about your comfort level and using the train and airplane the day after a spinal surgery does not sound right
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Allan_81AAllan_81 Channel IslandsPosts: 11
    Hi metalneck 

I live in the channel islands and the sergeon only comes over every 4 to 6 months he was over last week doing ops but he was not able to do private work by the hospital this time for some reason. So the next available date is the 14th over at his private hospital. which as I said is a plane and train ride away.. I have been suffering for 6 months now with bad sciatica that sets of my piriformis muscle to spasam when I walk. I don't have any numbness and no foot drop etc. My only concern is this flight home but was sort of hoping if I am drugged up I might just get home in a daze.
    Hello Alan,

Traveling in a daze is no fun at all - I tried that for a number of year(s)? before I broke down.  Maybe get an overnight in the hospital or even a hotel room for a couple of days if feasible.  The goal being to ensure that you don't wind up undoing any of your doc's fine work. What and when you do things post op is ultimately in your hands.

Regards,

MN
    Hi metalneck 

Thanks for you comments I guess I will have to wait and see when I wake up.. but last thing I want to do is undo the work he has done. thanks again 

Allan
  • advertisement
    You are very welcome!!
    More information here on the topic:

http://www.spine-health.com/seek?query=travel+post+op

Please let us know how you are doing?

MN
  • RAMRRAM FloridaPosts: 72
    Good luck Allan 81
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Allan

WOW... that is really pushing it... and in fact it sounds outright dangerous.  Surely you must be able to have the hospital or a local hotel accomodate you at least over night or better yet for a couple of days. 

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
    Hi all 

I have had my l5 s1 discectomy on the 14th of December and was able to travel and fly home the next day. It was a little uncomfortable but overall the pain was less than travelling there. My sciatica has stopped  and I no longer get spasms when I walk ( so far anyway) I am taking it super easy and slow. Thanks all for your msgs and take care.
    Allan,

Glad to hear you made it through the surgery and home safely!!  Convalesce please and be well !!  Keep us posted!!

MN  
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.