Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Still having pain/numbness

Here is a little history- I had a disc replacement at C4/5 and a fusion at C5/6 (ACDF) in July of 2015.  After about 4 months I started having numbness in my thumb and finger again.  My doctor had a CT w/myelogram completed and it found that I had another bone spur at C5/6 that was compressing my spine.  In March of 2016 I had a revision at C5/6 complete with a corpectomy, strut and plate put in.  I woke up feeling great and thought all was great.  Well, at about the 4 month mark I again started having the same problems.  I am now at 9 months and just had another CT w/myelogram performed that found mild stenosis at C5-T1.  I am having bad arm pain and my thumb and index finger are again numb.  I also have bad pain in the shoulder blade and tricep area of my arm.  The doctor wants me to have ESI injections, has anyone else gone through something similar?  Everything I read is the only real remedy for stenosis is a laminectomy, or will the injections help?
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    Mj Welcome to Spine-Health!

We have 7 vertebral  "bones"  and 8 vertebral discs ......  Even after surgery to one or two or 3 our 4 disc - there remains still the potential of new problems with the un-surgically repaired areas. (or the unrepaired)

Many times we will think that we have "fixed" our necks - by lord awful surgery(ies) - not really realizing that there are many levels that are still in jeopardy.  Fusions will tend to put great strain on the disc(s) above and below the level(s) you had work on - adjacent disc disease its called. Esi's do work but they will not repair mechanical issue - or typically be of longer duration of relief (In my experience). - Very few of us require corpectomies. Nerves are delicate things.

Please read my story on the link at the bottom of my post for examples.  After 4 major surgeries on my neck - I was recently told I have a 50% pinch stenosis in my neck C3 ...... which is what my last surgery was to correct .....

I guess the trick is on me ......

Again Welcome to Spine-Health - I hope this helps a little,

MN
  • shf9302sshf9302 VirginiaPosts: 15
    Hi MN, 

I apologize if this is the incorrect place to post this, but I think you answered a question that I have.  I didn't want to create a new thread for it since it seems to be addressed here. I had my C5-C7  fused back in June.  Before surgery I had aching at top of my spine where the vertebrae sticks out a little, right before my neck starts. I guess that would be around the T1 area?  I still have the same feeling on and off at the same point You mentioned in your reply that the lower vertebrae take on additional strain, could this be causing the aching?

Thanks,
    SHF9302

• advertisement