Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Emotional

Comments

• rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 147
    Good luck with your surgery! Mine is in about 3 weeks and I'm freaking out! 
  • Don't be nervous about your surgery! I don't have scoliosis, but I had to have an emergency spinal fusion due to being thrown out the back windshield of my car in a bad car wreck. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, I'm 11 weeks post op & am back to feeling like my normal self almost! I also had 7 broken ribs, a broken neck, back, collar bone, sacrum, and sternum while trying to heal after my surgery & am only 19 so I know you can do it! I'm finally off of all of my pain medicine 
  • advertisement
    I sent you a message linzbw.
  • I definitely understand!  I am afraid that What If this surgery doesn't do anything and that I am left with a fused spine and the same back pain. I think: what if I'm crazy and the pain I have is just because of poor posture or a weak back? But then I think about how much better I was before this surgery... I am terrified. 
    1) Schwannoma removal (1) @ L2-L3 (2001)
    2) Schwannoma removal (3) @ T11-L3 (2008)
    3) Failed laminectomy syndrome T11-L2, facet joint disease, ongoing schwannoma formation.  Fusion scheduled from T10-L3 (April 12th, 2017).  Chronic pain that never goes away
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,479
    Rae, wonderluster and littletontoby!! So sorry I have missed this thread. 
    I did not see a date for your surgeries so, if you don't mind, could you give us a date and what kind of surgery.
    If you would like to you can also (depending on what month) join February Surgery Buddies. I'll have to see if we have March up yet.
    There are pages of posts, pre and post op surgery, lots of advice and support.
    It's very understandable to be terrified of surgery, everybody is. And not knowing the outcome. But stay positive. It is well known the going into surgery with a positive attitude will give you a great recovery.
    Best of luck to all of you.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Hello memerainbolt, I just added my medical history to my profile (hopefully it shows on my responses).  My surgery is scheduled for April 12th.  It feels So far but still So close.  I don't even know how to feel!
    1) Schwannoma removal (1) @ L2-L3 (2001)
    2) Schwannoma removal (3) @ T11-L3 (2008)
    3) Failed laminectomy syndrome T11-L2, facet joint disease, ongoing schwannoma formation.  Fusion scheduled from T10-L3 (April 12th, 2017).  Chronic pain that never goes away
    I am having fusion from T4 to sacrum with pelvic fixation for scoliosis on March 9.  Time is flying!! 
    I will get March and April Surgery Buddies up. You can then start posting there and others that will have surgery will start joining. It's a great place for support and advice.
    By you posting your journey to this decision will also help others going through the same thing.
    Sandra
    Littletontoby, I can understand your decision on surgery by your words. Chronic pain that never goes away. Boy have I been there!
    So I see you have an ongoing Schwannoma formation. Do they think it's another tumor? And you've already had 4 removed? Wow. 
    But the good news they are mostly benign.
    I made a request for April Surgery Buddies, keep looking for it in latest discussions.

Sandra
    Rae112, keep watching the latest discussions for March Surgery Buddies and post there also if you'd like.
    If have reading time, check out the thread December Surgery Buddies. There were a couple of people that had scoliosis surgery. One, WLLady, had surgery all the way down. She's only 8.5 weeks post op and is going out, exercising doing for herself. A lot of information in that thread on what you will need at home.
    Also check out her story, My Scoliosis.
    We are here if you need anything!!
    Sandra
advertisement