Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Bad car wreck

Hi, I was in a fairly bad car wreck a few months ago.  Have 4 bulging discs in my neck aftet MRI.  Have severe whiplash.  I am told that I will need surgery when these herniate as they are bulging badly.  Does anyone else have experience with this type of injury.  I was told I should get a different line of work today.  I work in autoparts currently and the lifting is painful.


  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    edited 12/01/2016 - 10:51 AM
    Discpain - Welcome to Spine-Health,

    Acute or Chronic(multiple) whiplash can lead towards ligamental laxity and chronic cervical myositis as well as herniations and/or fracture(s).

    Read the My story thread at the link below - caused by multiple MVA's (motor vehicle accidents) and years of Chiropractic and osteopathic and self manipulation of my cervical spine.  Your current line of work maybe not be in line with your post surgical or current abilities and can be referred to as a dis-ability in its simplest meaning - I prefer lesser abled ....
    But that's me ....... Are you seeing a Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic surgeon that specializes in necks??


  • I am currently seeing a spinal specialist.  I had injections about a week ago and they already don't work.  I have been taking cyclobenzaprine, Diclofenac (which is an nsaid), and Butal/Acetamn for headaches.  I am looking into laser surgery for disc repair.  Not sure what else to do.  In a lot of pain.  I wake up 3 or 4 times per night.  Have nerve damage in wrist also, from the wreck.  Wearing a brace, Doctor ordered.
  • advertisement
  • Your story looks painful.  I haven't seen my MRI from my neck yet.  Just was told I have bulging discs when the doctor told me.  I will get that together though, soon.  
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 864

    Discpain101 - I was rear ended years ago in a van before headrests were standard equipment.  Please for our own sake, be aggressive in demanding complete diagnostics.  I hate to tell you, but broken up necks from car accidents usually only get worse with time.  I was the good guy and didn't challenge what doctors told me after my accident.  Often, neck injury from car accidents leave permanent damage to neck facet joints.  Soft tissue facet joint injuries rarely show up on MRIs.  I highly recommend trying to get a bone scan.  I had a ripped facet joint and was forced to live 20 years in severe pain, even after 10 MRIs had been shot.  The first bone scan found the ripped facet joint.  Also, see if you can find a way to justify a ct/myelogram of your neck, get it done.  If nothing else, if these tests don't find anything of significance, you at least have a baseline to compare as your neck gets worse. 

    Trust me, I hate to sound so negative, but I speak from experience.  After multiple fusions (if I wouldn't have had them, I'd very likely had become a quadriplegic), and I am now disabled living in severe 24/7 pain, a lot of my spinal cord damage likely would not have developed if I had been diagnosed years ago and had the needed surgery. 

Sign In or Register to comment.