Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Brain Fog from Neck Problems or ??

Folks, 

I have been searching for answers on why I have such bad brain fog and memory issues for over a year now. The only thing outside of the persistent fog that remains constant is my painful neck. I have been to multiple doctors and have had blood tests, MRI, X-ray, etc. All coming back normal, besides low testosterone. Which I am being treated for with no relief in symptoms. My question is has anyone ever experienced this and found what the problem is? The doc (from well known clinic in Southern MN) who scanned my neck didn't think the two were related and my neck only showed straightening of the regular curvature. I have been tested for everything, can anyone get me in the right direction. Is it anxiety/depression? 
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,789
    edited 12/05/2016 - 8:27 PM
    Fixme- Welcome to Spine-Health

May I ask how old/young you are??  Brain Fog could be from so many varied causes - and the occurrence itself can cause anxiety and depression.  

Any issues with blood pressure? Are you familiar with the term chronic cervical myositis?
    Loss of normal lordotic curvature is not uncommon with this problem.  

At one time my physician explained a constant his I had by implying - That the chronic inflammation of my neck muscles - constricted the arteries and veins in my neck resulting in an audible his. Could that also result in reduced blood flow to the brain??  I certainly don't know .... just a thought.  MRI of the neck totally clear??  Tell us more about the neck pain please ..

Regards,

MN

• Metalneck said:

Tixme- Welcome to Spine-Health

May I ask how old/young you are??  Brain Fog could be from so many varied causes - and the occurrence itself can cause anxiety and depression.  

Any issues with blood pressure? Are you familiar with the term chronic cervical myositis?
    Loss of normal lordotic curvature is not uncommon with this problem.  

At one time my physician explained a constant his I had by implying - That the chronic inflammation of my neck muscles - constricted the arteries and veins in my neck resulting in an audible his. Could that also result in reduced blood flow to the brain??  I certainly don't know .... just a thought.  MRI of the neck totally clear??  Tell us more about the neck pain please ..

Regards,

MN

I am thirty. No issues with blood pressure. The pain is pretty much unbearable at times. I wake up with it, neck feels very stiff and muscles very sore. I have good motion. I have had some slight dizziness and my vision seems to be a little off. Minor headaches.  I am not very familiar with cervial myositis. MRI was clear. Thanks for the reply. 
  • advertisement
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    This has been a topic on spine health as long as I've been here, a while.  Outside stress, anxiety and depression which all can cause cognitive decline, pain actually causes a loss in grey matter.  Outside that neck injury can trigger sympathetic overdrive, cognitive dysfunction .  Lack of blood as MN said from several reasons after neck injury can be shown to decrease cognition in studies.  
    But always start at most obvious point, you were diagnosed with low T, that has a proven impact of mental function.  Does it for yours? That is for Drs.  But start there because that one is 100 percent known and evidence based proven.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Hi there, I have suffered from your symptoms for about eight years. It started out as chronic fatigue and lack of motivation, which got ridden off as simply depression and then ADD. After being on meds for several years, it became apparent that that wasn't the solution. I eventually found my way to NUCCA chiropractor who found that I had an atlas subluxation. Basically, I would ask myself the following questions: 
    • do you have a dull ache at the base of your skull?
    • Is one of your hips higher than the other? 
    • Is one of your shoulders higher than the other? 
    I've been on this treatment (painless and no cracking) for a month and have seen structural improvements to my body, but my brain fog hasn't really abated. I'm hoping to see improvements in the next month or so. 
  • Dandyzoku, How are you feeling?  I had my atlas adjusted 4 months ago.  While I've seen some progress I feel that I've got away to go.

• advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,482

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.