Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Nervously awaiting surgery

For months I was looking forward to having surgery to relieve pain from disc degeneration with stenosis. I will be getting Fusion of L4 and L5 in a couple of days. Procedures I'm getting are XLIF and PDIF. After reading so many horror stories here, I am seriously thinking of canceling my surgery. Please does anyone have words of encouragement on why I should go through with this? 
advertisement

Comments

• I can't comment on PLIF but I have had XLIF done on L2-L3 for disc collapse and foraminal stenosis. It was giving me miserable crushing pain in my right flank. Recovery from surgery was quick in my case, I was walking miles within a week and the flank pain was gone. So I consider that procedure successful.
    February 2015 : T12 burst fracture undiagnosed for 12 weeks
    June 2015: kyphoplasty
    December: T12-L3 facet injections
    Currently contemplating reconstruction
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Rose

I've had two PLIF surgeries and I would consider them a success. Recovery takes some months and I'm not the same person I was 25 years ago... but the horrible pre-surgery nerve pain is definitely gone.   There are tons of success stories... it's just that a lot of them leave the forum and get on with their lives.  We all get nervious before a surgery... it's perfectly normal... just roll with it... I'm sure your doctor will do a good job.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • RoseVeeRRoseVee Pecos, NMPosts: 2
    Thank you for responding. 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,367
    Rose,  if you will go to the top right corner of this page and type in Plif and or Xlif, there are some very good articles on both surgeries. There are pictures of real patient's spine before and after surgery. I think this will give you a good idea of what the surgeons are capable of doing.
    You have to remember, most people get on the forum when they have problems. And, when surgery is over and they are fully recovered,  we never hear from them again. We like to hear the success stories for this very reason, to give others hope not fear.
    Hang in there, take care and let us know how you are doing.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement