Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

sciatic

I have gone to a spine doctor about my herniated disc,  but they recommended me to therapy, I have gone like 12 times and I think it's getting worse with my pain, that they say it's my piriformis muscle , what should i do
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Go back to your spine doctor and tell him/her it's not working. Be your own advocate! 
  • ok thank you 
  • advertisement
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 692
    True. No exercise in therapy should cause pain. If it does, stop doing it and move on to the next exercise. You need to find out why your pelvic muscles are imbalanced and what you can do to first get them back in balance without adding strength to one side over the other.  
  • When something is impinging on a nerve , it needs to be physically removed to provide ultimate relief. If you have a splinter in your hand, you don't go to physical therapy and hope the pain calms down and learn to live with it, you pull out the splinter and pain goes away. Spine surgery is the same, remove the source of pain and heal. 
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 692
    I have to believe the site of the pain and the source (root cause) of the pain are two different things. In my opinion, if you fix the root cause, then the pain should take care of itself. One doctor said I had a bulging disc. Other doctor said I had herniated disc. Third doctor said what's the difference.

My disc was impinging my sciatic nerve at L4/5. The pain was primarily in my leg and foot, not in my low back. I discovered my disc was putting pressure on the nerve because my vertebrae were compressing the discs because my muscles weren't properly engaged, thus causing the bones to shift and causing the disc to impinge the nerve and  sending pain down my leg. The whole thing made me think of the chicken or the egg situation, until I ultimately came to grips with the mindset that since muscle moves bone, that I had to focus my efforts there. Not by strengthening the muscles, but by first balancing the muscle movements. Now I can strengthen and build at equal proportions now that I'm balanced! The trick is....staying balanced:)   
  • advertisement
advertisement