Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Nerve block on C6 nerve, now other side of my neck hurts??

Hello all,
I am just curious if anyone has had a nerve block done on there neck and woke up with next day with pain on the opposite side of their neck?

I'm a 32 yr old active female who has had neck pain for about 2 years now, it's not progressively gotten worse and found out I have a herniated disc in my C5-C6 with nerve impingement. I've done all that I can think of for it, PT, Chiropractor, acupuncture, massage therapy, now finally got a nerve block yesterday which is my last option because surgery. Anyways, I woke up with morning with a really bad headache and pain on the opposite side of my neck. Has is ever happened to anyone? The side that has the initial pain is still there unfortunately now both sides are hurting pretty bad. Please let me know if this may be normal? Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• mandykb23mmandykb23 DelawarePosts: 20
    Sorry I also have another question, 
    I saw a orthopedic surgeon about a month and a half ago and he told me that you can't get headaches from your neck. He says my headaches are coming from a different reason altogether? Im pretty sure its coming from my neck but he doesnt want to hear it. Has anyone ever heard of this ?
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745
    My cervical pain often radiates from left to right especially after a cervical needle procedure. If the needle does not work, that's when my ortho mentions ADR or ACDF. Without major surgeries, I would still be horizontal in bed. 
  • advertisement
    which surgery did you get?  I'm actually scheduled for adr or possible fusion on Jan 4th. I'm really nervous about it.  I was hoping the nerve block would work wonders and I could cancel the surgery but so far not much relief
    edited 12/08/2016 - 8:02 PM
    I has ADR c5/c6 in 2012 and ACDF c6/c7 in 2013. Laminectomy/discectomy L4/L5in 2001. 

I had steroid injections before all 3 surgeries. They did nothing for me so my ortho said surgery each time. Had to do it and am thankful I did do each. I was stuck in bed, for months, before each. 
    Thanks for the reply. I'm scheduled for ADR on Jan 4th and am starting to get anxious about whether I should go through with it or not, but nothing else is working so I guess if I want any kind of relied surgery is the way to go. I'm just afraid of what might happen after. Ive been reading some horror stories about what happened after surgery and it's scared me but I guess that's the chance you have to take in order to try and get better.
  • advertisement
    It's good you have ADR surgery scheduled. My first cervical surgery was ADR. My ortho from my 2001 surgery had been caring for me since then as far as pain mgmt till 2012 when the cervical issues started. In 2012, we tried steroid pills and then steroid injections and I knew surgery was my only option when those did nothing. I researched it on the web and knew I wanted ADR and not ACDF. ADR takes less time to heal and gives me more mobility. Turns out my ortho did not know how to do that surgery. He had to refer me to a buddy of his to do it. To my surprise, my old surgeon showed up in pre op. I had both my surgeons in the op room for my ADR. I considered myself lucky. Since then, I have stayed with my new surgeon. He is in a huge office that sees patients 5 days a week and they have xray machines right in the office. There was no way I could go back to my old country ortho that did not have all that. Anyway, I know you read the horror stories but if you ask each person whether he would do it again, all would say yes. I had 3 surgeries and I was better off after all three. Was I fixed? No. Pain is a relative term. I always was hurting less after each surgery. You will do PT after your ADR and it will hurt but you have to do it. My PT started as a trainer, at TX A & M as a football trainer. He is used to working on big football players. I am 6 ft 4 inches and 265 lbs. He hurt me twice a week for 3 yrs in a row.  Hurt me so bad, I'd end up in bed for 2-3 days after each of his sessions. Sometimes, a woman would work on me but she was too gentle. Make sure you get a PT that can really work you over. Ok, preaching is over. Hope some of this helps you. GLTU. 
    Thank you for taking the time to reply!  It has really helped to ease my mind about surgery. My friends and family want me to get the surgery so I'll stop complaining and being miserable from the pain, and so do I. Being in pain 24/7 is no way to live. I'm counting down the weeks until surgery. I can't wait to get it done and start the recovery process. Hopefully I'll come back stronger then before with less pain!  :) Good luck with everything and I hope that you don't need anymore surgeries in the future!
    Thanks. I have had both the ADR and ACDF. I STRONGLY prefer the ADR!!! After the ACDF, my neck barely moves. So glad I did the ADR and then the ACDF. I can't imagine my neck with 2 fusions. In 2012 and 2013, per my ortho, it was hard to get ADRs approved. I feel so lucky I got my ADR approved. GLTU 
advertisement