It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test
The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion
First time on back pain forum...
I figured that I'd start off by answering the checklist of suggested info that was posted. I've been suffering intensely for the last 4 years. As a result I am now getting very depressed and my pain is getting worse... i guess that's why I am here. I am terrified of surgery as the 3 docs I've seen all said the surgery is risky and cannot guarantee relief from pain... so why would I do it?
When did this first start
- At what age? I was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 13, no pain, just an inoperable curve.
- Was it a result of an accident or trauma? At the age of 22, I got into a car accident and broke L3 in 3 places.
- Are there others in your family with similar medical
conditions? My older brother has scoliosis, but had a full spinal fusion at 14 years old.
- Are there others in your family with similar medication
- What doctors have you seen (Orthopedic, Neurosurgeon,
Spine Specialist, etc) I've seen orthos, spinal surgeons, pain mgmt
- Which doctor did you start with? (Primary Care
Physician, Orthopedic, ? Primary care sent me to ortho, who sent me to pain mgmt.
- What kind of doctor are you currently seeing> Pain mgmt
- What kind of treatments have you had? Conservative or
- Physical Therapy - YES
- Spinal Injections - YES
- Ultrasound/Tens unit - YES
- Acupuncture - NO
- Massage Therapy - YES
What kind of diagnostic tests have
you had and what were the results
- MRIs several of them, and xrays too
Summarize the results, please do not
post all details, we cannot analyze them. How many different tests have you had
over the years? I've had 3 MRIs over the last 4 years. I have grade 2 spondylolisthesis (sp?), scoliosis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease, arthritis, and probably more I can't think of right now.
I'd rather not post my meds, but I am taking pain meds.
Has surgery been discussed as an option? If so, what kind) Two spinal surgeons recommended a complete spinal fusion using anterior and posterior approaches.
- Is there any nerve pain/damage associated? YES
- What is your doctor’s action plan for treating you? Surgery... alternate option is PT and pain management until I can't wait any longer or my situation progresses