Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF. C5-7 Post op. 10 days. And I have questions

Hello Everyone,   I am new to this forum and would like to first wish everyone a speedy recover to their ailments.   I suffered for about five years with right arm weakness, numbness, and pain before I couldn't take it anymore and finally had a two level fusion about 10 days ago.   I went to the Hospital for Special,Surgery in NYC and had a top flight ,highly renowned surgeon , performs my surgery.   The doctor told my wife the surgery went well and I was expecting the fair amount of pain I received when I attempted to swallow.   I stayed two nights in the hospital when I was told I would only require one night.  The drain in my neck was never taken out the next day so they kept me.  I couldn't swallow anything for the first two days so was unable to take pain meds.  I was prescribed steroids to reduce the swellling and eventually was able to swallow fluids and pain meds.   I still can't freely swallow solid foods without a drink of water, so I am assuming that I am still swollen in there.  When did everyone here start eating food without the aid of fluids.  I would have thought that the swelling should have completely subsided by now.  I don't see anyone until six weeks after my surgery from my doctors practice and that is a PA.  I won't see my doctor until the 8 week mark.   This never sounded right to me from the beginning.   I will give them a call tomorrow because I have a few questions.   I have learned more from this forum in the past few days then I have anywhere else.   Thanks All and be well
advertisement

Comments

• georgejonesggeorgejones Santa Rosa Beach, FlPosts: 24
    I will have this same surgery on Jan 5 and from what I have read on this forum everybody has trouble swallowing solid food for a while. What type of spacer did your surgeon use and why? It seems unusual to not see the dr for 8 weeks. I will have a check up at 4 weeks and again at 12 and if everything goes well I will be released at that point. Please keep reporting your progress.
  • Hi! I am 3 weeks post op today (same surgery). The first week I could barely swallow fluids, and actually had to move my head forward in order for it to go down. I was able to take a very small pain pill that was all. I am thin, and I lost 5 lbs. in the first week which I didn't need to do.
    I think it was exactly the 7th day when i started to be able to swallow better and could keep down some soup, but it took forever to eat it. After that it seemed to get much better quickly. I also had started icing my neck near the incision more and I think that helped.
    As far as not seeing your surgeon for 8 weeks, that doesn't sound right to me. I saw mine at 2 1/2 weeks and I thought that wasn't right.
    Hang in there......... I definitely feel for you!
    Trying to stay positive
  • advertisement
  • amarinoaamarino New yorkPosts: 7
    Thanks your the info.  Not sure about spacers,  I know I have a titanium cage and My doctor took bone from my side to make a bone growth mixture.   I feel that I don't know what I should be doing though post op.  Such as ,  icing, moving my neck, walking.  
  • amarino,
    I didn't see my surgeon until 7 weeks - but my discharge forms did tell me to make an appt to see my GP (PCP) at two weeks to get the incision checked. I think I ate soup for a few weeks after surgery (fusion c5/6). It sounds like maybe you were worse to start off with though. It's a slow process, but if you are worried it is best to check with your surgeon - especially if you aren't sure what to do/not do.  I was told by the hospital physio to start slow with the walking after the first few days/week. So like just go to the mail box to start, then slowly increase. Not to pick up anything heavy like a casserole dish. And to slowly get back to normal. I had a soft collar for 5 weeks. Good luck!! 
advertisement