Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Contradictory post op instructions

History: Frequent exerciser. Free weights, elliptical stair master. Easy to moderate workouts. Sciatica started early October as right buttock pain, mostly with sitting.  I decided to take yoGa class and then could barely walk out of class.  Progressed rapidly to severe, debilitating pain in the buttock, calf ankle and foot. 
Ortho consult. MRI showed L5-S1 mod herniation with severe nerve root impingement. Had 2 steroid injections which provided zero relief. At the that point two radiologists and 2 pain mgmt docs shared that the steroids would likely not improve symptoms as the herniated disc appeared to already have hardened (on MRI) and had completely displaced the nerve root. 
Had laminectomy/discectomy on 11/22/16. My surgeon is very, very conservative.  He doesn't want me doing anything. Just walking and some stretching of hamstring.  I'm three weeks out and he still won't clear me to go to work more than 4 hours. 
This all seems to be contradictory to everything I had read prior to surgery. I thought I'd be back to regular activity by now. 

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,288
    A lot would depend on how serious and compressed your nerves were . When there is not a lot of nerve damage, most of the time, after 4 weeks you will get the go ahead to do some light walking, but may not even start physical therapy until the 6th or 8th week post op.

You are still very fresh out of surgery, Please read Recovery the most important phase - Patience!

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I had my microdisectomy on the same day!

Not sure if this helps, but my doc has me laying in bed at home for 6 weeks after surgery with 15 minute walks every few hours. He said he expects to clear me to do part time work after our 6 week post op appointment on Jan 5th. Guess it really depends on your individual case for how long you will be down for.
  • advertisement