Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3rd time lucky

Went to see the surgeon today regarding my latest MRI. As usual he was not present so I spoke with his understudy. 

Looking at the lateral mri image she stated that my L5/S1 herniation looks worse than ever. I've had two surgeries this year, an epidural and facet injections, none of which have worked. Her recommendation is to inject the herniated disc and the nerve root to attempt to relieve pain but this has to be ran past the head surgeon. 

I'm very against further injections as they've not worked in the past and aren't really addressing the Issue.

Quite fed up with it all now and really wish I never went through with the initial surgery back in January 
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,479
    Did you speak to her regarding your concerns with the injections? And, did she offer any other options?
    I know it can be frustrating when procedures don't work and you have to follow their guidelines. That's why it's so important to voice your opinion.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • trixttrix LiverpoolPosts: 35
    Yes I expressed this to her and she recommended gabapentin and something for pain management, neither of which address the issue. After my first mri this time last year they had me under the knife very quick owing to its severity. Going on what the surgeons have told me and what's happened I've reherniated twice or they haven't done what they have said they have. 

I'm so frustrated as I could manage before but after the last surgery it's at times unbearable.

I've been asked to go in next week to see the head surgeon who will undoubtedly recommend injections in the mean time I'm just going to try and out it to one side and enjoy Christmas 
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

John...

It sounds like you need to seek out a second opinion. 

Finding a doctor that you can "sync up with" is key to getting a good result.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,479
    I agree with hvills, a second opinion might be a good option for you. At least, more than anything, it would give you peace of mind.
    Gabapentin is one of those meds that take time. I take 300 mg 6 times a day. At first, I didn't think they were working either. But I put my self on a schedule, I take them the same time every day. For me, it has made a difference. It is mainly used for pain associated with nerves. A lot of your pain could be nerves being compressed.
    Take care, keep us posted. Happy Holidays!!
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • trixttrix LiverpoolPosts: 35
    Before my first surgery and for some time after I was taking gabapentin at 1800mg (6 a day) and it had no affect on me. They also tried me on amitrytiline which again gave no relief. 

I woke up to a voicemail from the surgeons secretary today saying they wanted to cancel my appointment today as the surgeon agreed with the decision by his junior registrar and felt no reason to see me. I insisted on keeping he appointment and when I was called in was shocked to see the junior present again instead of the consultant. I was given three options, take the injection, get reffered to a pain management centre or deal with it. I am truly shocked at out how they simply want to wipe their hands of me so have requested all my records in the hope of a second opinion. 
  • advertisement
advertisement