Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3 weeks ACDF post -op 5/6 6/7.... have to 'watch' the 7/8??

At my follow up appointment for my surgery the Dr. and I were looking at the xray, and she said that because of the hardware put in sometimes it can eventually put pressure on the lower/ upper discs. She noted that there was still "Some" space that was okay between the 7/8 but that we would have to keep an eye on it.
?? So now I'm wondering if it's inevitable that I'm going to need surgery for that, and if it was somewhat questionable why wouldn't they have just done that one as well.
Now I am scared to move in fear that I'm going to herniate the 7/8.
Anybody have anything similar?
Trying to stay positive
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    dmd09

I understand your questions - I ended up needing a second surgery for the disc just above.  I also wondered why we didn't just do it in the first place.

It is common for the discs above and below to see extra strain and later fail.  I think, but have no real knowledge, that they don't do them because they don't always fail.

Accept that it is possible, hope that it doesn't happen.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Hi Bruce, it's amazing that  I just posted this a few days ago. Yesterday I felt a 'pull' in the side of my neck, and it became more painful. I ended up going to the ER, I was very concerned that the plate may have moved. Luckily all the hardware was fine, but there is 'soft tissue swelling ' near the 7/8!!! My Dr., of course won't be in next week. So I'm kind of stuck I guess until he gets back.
    Unreal..... So is this what I have to look forward too? (sigh)

How far apart were your surgeries?
    Trying to stay positive
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    dmd09

My surgeries were almost 2 years apart.

Don't panic yet, could just be swelling...

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.