Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post Back Surgery Nerve Pain. Help please!!!!

Hello, 
I am coming up on three months post back surgery. (Bilateral decompression at L4-L5 and decompression, left, L5-S1) I have been in physical therapy for 2 and a half weeks with only having some pitching in my lower back as an after effect.
Since surgery I have not been able to feel my last two toes on my left foot, and have numbness up my calf to my knee. This has been generally painless for two months and seems to be slowly (but surely) getting better. However, out of no where, last night while sleeping I started having very severe nerve pain in my left foot on the top, to the left side and up to my ankle; throughout the day it has gotten progressively worse. The pain is beginning to happen more frequent and more severe. The pain feels like very strong electric shocks. The pain causes me to not be able to sleep and I certainly cannot concentrate. I did go to physical therapy today and told my therapist; unfortunately it has been getting worse since my session. 

At home, II have tried hot, cold, Lidocaine, soaking in a warm shower to try to relive the pain. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I am worried it is a bad sign in this stage of the recovery process. Do you have any remedies to help soothe this pain? 
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,472
    Musiccandy, hi, welcome to Spine Health!! Have you discussed this with your physical therapist or surgeon? Since it has been 3 months and you were not having any problems until now would be my concern too.
    Before your surgery you probably had neves compressed for a while. They don't like to be woken up!! Some of them will immediately let you know about it and try to set you on fire. Others will just lay there, lurking, waiting for the right moment to strike. I was told it could take months.
    Some of the things you could try at home is a tens unit. You could ask your PT if they have one you could use. Ice pack and heat, alternating the two 15-20 mins, repeating 3 times. Ice massage, rolling an ice pack over the area but when the area becomes numb stop. You can also alternate between Tylenol and Aleve, will help with the inflammation.
    I know how you feel and it hurts. But I would like to know what your Pt told you yesterday.
    Take care, keep us posted on your progress.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • I am 4 weeks out from a micro discectomy & laminectomy.  After the 1st week of pain from the actual surgery all my nerve pain has returned. Pain into groin knee & shin so bad that i can only walk from my kitchen to my bedroom. I am so upset & frustrated.  My surgeon is away till February..this time of year hard to get help. The only thing that is comfortable is lying down. I am thinking of going to the emergency dept of where i had the surgery as surely they owe it yo me to see whats wrong. My pain is 8/10 all the time.  I have read on these forums that this is so common. I am devastated that i will be in this pain forever. Please help me.
  • advertisement