Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Thoughts on bilatral burning on lower buttocks & BACK of thighs

I am now nearly 2 years into my sciatica/radiculopathy journey.   And over the entire arc, it has improved -- but day to day, sometimes hard to remember.  My current most distracting symptom is burning on the back of both my thighs, worse when sitting, but once it gets started it stays -- sometimes so bad that even the fabric of my slacks hurts.  Can that be referred from one side in most folks experience? Or is something else likely going on.  Seems odd to me, but who knows. .   

History - :  Sleeping is mostly a reset and I start each day over.  I have lots of tingling burning on center top of my left foot to inside top of arch that never goes away.    "Tender" spot is over the L SI joint and when I walk (I do about a mile each morning with the dog) clearly a tie between L lower buttock pain and foot tingling.   Even the lightest massage on the SI joint to sacrum sets me up for sharp pain in the area for about 4 days (per my experience last week) .  My lower leg pain (which was mostly in the shin) has pretty much gone away since I had an L4-L5/L5-S1 epidural in September, except for the foot .  The caudal I had in Nov didn't do much, as far as I can tell.  I end up sitting on an ice pack at work.  Will probably try an SI shot next month, most likely.  Trying to figure out if any of my home exercise stuff is making it worse - but so far only obvious thing is piraformis stretch on left is killer. Not doing that one any more.  

So what thoughts do folks have ? . 

advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 701
    Absolutely for me my briefs would kill me. It felt as though there were so tight and strangling my thighs I had to end up cutting the elastic part in the legs. That or just go without! 

Sciatic symptoms can be in one or both legs. The level of pain, and variability of symptoms is case-by-case. I feel it's all dependent on how much, and the location of, how the nerve is being impinged at any given time. You said when you sit it gets worse, which to me suggests there's some compression and postural imbalances going on as you sit. The same was true for me.  

Thinking of your posture (and habits that go with)
    - If sleeping is a reset....What is your sleep position? Do you use any props? Can you bring those practices into your     daily routine? 
    - Do you walk the dog, or does the dog walk you? Either way, I have visions of a fast paced walk with one arm                  extended out holding the leash. I try to make sure I change hands often or just drop the leash altogether.  
    - Why do you sit so much at work? Do you also sit to drive? Watch TV? Eat? Game? For many of us, sitting and static    movements far outweigh mobility. What happens to our car if we never drive it?......I'm of the opinion that spending        the majority of my day moving (variable movements) is better than not moving (or limited movements). 

My best suggestion for you would be to stop lifting weights and stop doing any impact exercises (jump training, running, etc). Don't worry, it's only a temporary freeze. I only suggest this because it's what I had to do. Next suggestion is to look at your posture and postural habits and see if there's anything you need to change. At work, I rarely go for more than 10 minutes in any one position. I also get away from my desk every 10-30 minutes with a goal of creating variable movements head-to-toe. While in static positions I'm focused on neutral posture (sitting or standing). Also I'm obsessed about staying amply hydrated and diaphragmatic breathing.

Keep us posted and never give up looking for what's best for you! 

• Hi SueW.....i have developed exactly the same buttock burning  and back of thigh burning as you described in 2017.  Have to sleep on my stomach or sit on ice pack or simply stand amd walk constantly. Have you managed to have this solved yet....almost a year since your comment. 

• advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,745

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I have to close it.

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.