Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pins and needles for over a year - anyone in the same position?

Comments

• Do not delay treatment/surgery/whatever is needed! For me, I had 4 measly months before I had permanent nerve damage. Everyone is different and there is no hard and fast rule, but NO ONE thought it could happen that quickly. Certainly not me.

I was busy being in denial, working overtime, staying busy, going to the chiropractor - anything other than medical treatment, because that would have pulled me right out of denial.

I ended up with 3 surgeries in 12 months and NONE fixed my nerve pain. The nerve burning/tingling/pins and needles and finally, numbness. So much numbness. On the outside of both buttocks, both thighs, both calves, both feet, 4th and 5th toes on each foot. Now I can forget about dancing or anything else. I have to pay attention to every step I take because with all the numbness, I am at a huge fall risk. I balance on the inside of my feet or tip over. I am 42 years old and have a cane, a walker and a permanent handicap car tag. It stinks.

And in 2005, the 4 months I ignored the pain? While I kept living my life as if nothing were wrong, and my husband begging and begging me to go to the doctor? But I didn't want surgery, and I thought going to the medical doctor would force me into surgery. Well, I was right BUT no one told me I was risking permanent nerve damage.

I don't want to scare anyone, but permanent nerve damage is very real and very life-changing. I will never be the same. There are few treatments for nerve damage - pain meds, spinal cord stimulators or implanted pain pumps. I am on the meds and just got my SCS on Monday. I am praying it works for me. It currently is and I am so excited.

But I never had any idea. Your nerves might take the burning for years and still heal. Mine did not. You just never know.

Forgot to add: all doctors kept telling me just give it time, let the nerves heal. I was finally given an EMG in November, 2007 and the diagnosis changed, and so did how the docs treated me. It was a huge turning point, devastating but also validating. I knew I wasn't crazy.

I wish you much good luck!!

Cheri
  • I've been dealing with numbness & tingling for a good 4 years now, have had multiple EMG & nerve velocity tests that have always come back negative. About 8 months ago I did get relief after an ESI, I also started taking Lyrica. It is slowly coming back and my back pain is much worse. I'm scheduled for another ESI this Friday and I'm hoping it works. My PM doc thinks it will be more diagnostic than therapeutic but we are hoping for the best.

My GP referred me to this PM doc and he has found issues on my MRIs and has not made me feel like it was all in my head. So far my treatment has been conservative and the doc has always given me options and let me choose what path to take.
    Jay
  • advertisement
  • I just had the surgery after years of pins & needles + back pain that was affecting my dancing as well as every area of my life.
    The thought of not being able to dance has kept me from pursuing surgery for years but it finally this past year got to the point I was sitting out more at practice than I was participating..not ideal when you are on a dance troupe.
    I hope I am able to perform by August this year, God willing. I can't imagine life without dance. :(

Anyway, my point is that it will probably not get better if there is nerve impingement..I held off surgery for sometime with the steriod injections & they helped alot, but you can only have so many.

I just wanted you to know I understand the dance thing >:D<
  • I have had Pins and Needles as well as a burning and cold sensation with a "itchy crawling" Sensation down the nervepath of the S1/L5 nervepath together with Sciatica from my left Buttock down the left Leg to my Toes/Sole of my Foot.It developed immediately after L5/S1 discectomy and revised Fusion a Year ago and it is getting worse. It is at best very irritating and annoying ,at worst it is extremely painful.The nervepain also reacts very badly to any weatherchanges.I was told by my Surgeon,there is nothing else he can do.I absolutely and totally refuse to live with this pain or to accept it as inevitable.I am going to have an EMG of my left Leg first,to see,if that will show,or give me an Idea ,where the Nervepain is coming from and then we will take the next Step.
    BTW,Tanya:I am wishing for a whole Body Transplant with a good and healthy Spine,it is less Problems then just a Spine transplant(but I'll take what i can get)!!
    Take Care
    Rosarian
  • Sometimes it takes the full 3 injections for someone to get any relief from having ESIs. If you got some relief from the first one, chances are good that you will get more relief from the next two.
  • advertisement
advertisement