Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lyrica or Gabapentin

Three days ago I was officially diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.  However I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis and a bulging disc at L4 -L5.  I have taken Gabapetin for years and it used to help with my pain, but is not the case anymore.  I am on a cocktail of meds including Enbrel which is currently not helping with symptoms anymore after 3 years of relieving the RA.  This past year I have been in agony with pain.  Cymbalta was tried and caused scary side effects.  I had to stop it after 4 days.
At my appointment the other day my NP added Celebrex for pain, discontinued the Enbrel, and prescribed Orencia instead.  After researching those meds, including Gabapentin, I realized that none of them actually treat the Fibromyalgia...only the RA and nerve pain.
     I am wondering how Lyrics works for Fibromyalgia, and if anyone was ever prescribed Gabapentin for it?  Which one worked better?  What side effects did anyone get with Lyrics?
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,472
    Spock, welcome to Spine Health!! It always saddens me when someone says I have fibro.
    I was diagnosed over 20 yrs ago, at a time when very little was known about it.  And it took that length of time for the professionals to finally say it was a disease and not a symptom!!
    Your case reads like mine, bulging disc, arthritis and many others. But it was always the side affects of fibro that took it's toll on me. I've taken every kind of medication that the doctors thought would help.
    But everyone is different with different metabolisms. And I've done a lot of research of my own. I could not take Lyrica. With fibro I've suffered with anxiety and depression and Lyrica made it worse, so did Celebrex.
    I started taking Savella about five years ago, has worked wonders. About a year after I started taking it, I started slacking up on it, I wanted to see for sure if it was helping.  And it was. I will stay on it from now on.
    I also taken Neurontin for the nerve pain because of the disc. But it's like my doctor says, when you have fibro, what is causing what pain. It makes everything else so hard to figure out.
    I hope this has helped some, please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.
    Take care.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • I've taken both for chronic nerve pain and fibromyalgia and hated it. Neurontin spaced me out way too much and Lyrica just piled the weight on me with not much relief. Savella was so much better for me and I actually shed the pounds once I switched to it. Fibro flares are better controlled on this medication. It used to help me sleep but the insomnia has gotten so bad. For me, switching to Savella was the best decision I made. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • advertisement
  • Oxycodone is the best in my opinion.  They will tell you it's too addictive- but when the pain was gone it took less than a week to wean my dose down and stop taking it. They will tell you it's not effective for nerve pain- in my experience it is the ONLY thing effective. Percocet  is ok if you are physically active. Something about the oxy/Tylenol combination get's you wired. But if you're restricted to minimal physical activity then just plain oxycodone. It not only works better than anything else I've ever tried from the pharmacy it doesn't  tear up your liver like acetametephine, doesn't tear up your stomach like NSAIDsThe Gabapentin helped with the nerve pain some when used with the oxy, but it literally made me retarded, and after taking it  a month+  it was difficult to complete a sentence ( i lost all my words. even simple ones!) and i became so forgetful I couldn't be trusted to cook a meal without supervision. I took oxy for a year straight that time (before surgery and thru recovery) it kept me pain free without having to trade up my other organs and I swear I came out in the end looking 10 years younger.
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 681
    Just wondering if anything wrong with taking both lyrica and gabapentine?
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 947
    Spock - I've only taken Gabapentin.  I didn't help me with my cervical nerve root impingement.  I have two friends who both have spinal stenosis and Gabapentin helped both of them with pain in their feet.  Both of them had their pain management doctors push Lyrica on them.  The only difference they told me they could detect was less cash in their wallet when taking Lyrica.

I know Lyrica is pushed for people with Fibromyalgia.  I do not know of anyone with Fibromyalgia that reported benefit with Lyrica.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello spock !
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• rln12280rrln12280 Louisiana Posts: 30
    I have taken both. Lyrica I gain a lot of weight on immediately lost it when I got off it.  Neurontin I was recently prescribed and currently fighting the withdraws of trying to get off this terrible medication.  I do not recommend Neurontin at all withdrawals are terrible!!! And I was on it for only 20 days!  I have fibro and what has worked for me was Low Dose Naltraxone.  I did a lot of research on it and join FB support pages on it become I found a doctor that would prescribe it.  It has helped me.
  • I am in constant pain with severe lumbar stenosis, 3 bulging discs and am terrified about taking pharmaceuticals. I also suffer from depression and choose to treat my ailment an alternative way. I know medical cannabis is not for everyone but I do find pain relief from it. I have done the vics, oxy, Tramadol etc etc. I don't get high THC cannabis but opt for I higher CBD or balanced ratio of THC for CBD strains because of my depression and anxiety. I know it is now for all but I do find relief with medical cannabis.     
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,472
    Mike, we all take whatever works for us. I'm glad you found what works for you and if it gives you relief than that's a lot more than a lot of people can say.
    Life goes on!!

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • There is a push right now in the medical field to have Lyrica removed from the market due to side effects.  I took it for a while some years ago and my short term memory was shot!  After I stopped taking it, I was able to think correctly again.  I was just speaking with a Dr. today about this med and he has personally stopped prescribing it.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.