Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lyrica or Gabapentin

Comments

• I currently take Gabapentin prescribed for nerve pain after a bulging disc surgery, but never used it for Fibro. My Fibromyalgia diagnosis took 8 agonizing months & several drugs to try to treat pain. My rheumatologist recommended a TENS machine -you can buy your own on Amazon & they are very affordable. It helped. Dr also prescribed Lyrica; it never reduced my pain one bit, but took me from 118 lbs to 156 lbs in 2 months. I wanted to die! Stopped it immediately, especially since it wasn't helping. Only med that even made the slightest difference was Hydrocodone. I mostly relied on steroid injections in my shoulder/neck, but could only get those every 5 months. The relief never lasted that long. I suffered terribly for 2 years-then it went away. That was in 2015. I pray it never comes back. Also needed meds for depression & sleep. Worst condition I ever had. The worst!
  • I have tried both.  I currently take gabapentin.  They are very similar medications, and work in much the same way.  I was only on the Lyrica for a short time before my doctor switched me over to the gabapentin.  She told me that the effect is so similar in the two that it is not worth paying extra for the Lyrica.  As the years have passed, I have had to increase my gabapentin a few times.  The effectiveness does seem to decrease the longer that I am on it.  However, any time that I think it isn't working and stop taking it for a few days, I am reminded of just how much it IS doing to help with my pain and sensitivity.  I do still have to supplement with stronger pain meds when I am having a bad pain day.  The gabapentin does not work for that.  It is more of a maintenance medication that keeps my daily pain down to a manageable level.

Best of luck to you in your search for relief!  I am a Fibro veteran of 18 years, so I can certainly relate. ;)

• advertisement
  • Flowergirl526FFlowergirl526 Posts: 1
    edited 09/28/2017 - 9:48 AM

• For me both Lyrica and Gabapentin have helped a lot with with my fibromyalgia pain which is usually nerve pain in one way shape or another. I took Lyrica for years and switched because it was costing me a FORTUNE. You can really play with the dosing on gabapentin with minimal side effects so it might be worth it to give it a shot! I take 2 300MG caps 3x daily now so if it’s not helping say something and you can work with your doc, Best of luck! Also recently added Celebrex and love it for my joint pain, hasn’t been bad for me. But how any of these drugs affect you will be different especially how they affect your fibromyalgia versus anyone else’s. It’s unfortunately trial and error to find that perfect cocktail. Also this totally depends of your state, I luckily live in DC, but THC and CBD Marihuana based topical balms and creams can really help fibro and joint pain and aren’t intoxicating for your brain at all, safe to use etc. Anything that helps! 

• LizLiz Posts: 9,768

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I have to close it

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.