Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

4 week update

I am happy to report that I am doing really well after my 8 level fusion surgery. The post operative pain is nothing compared to the pain I had before the surgery! I am able to walk over half a mile and no longer need a walker! It is truly a miracle! I was really nervous going into the surgery but I am so glad I did it. I might even be able to have a normal life again!
advertisement

Comments

• Wow. That's wonderful.
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Susan...

Good on you... keep up the good progress!!!

Are you off pain meds..??  Is your walking now a daily routine..??

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,493
    Hi susan!  Which 8 levels did you have fused? I am just 3 weeks out of 10 level (t10-s2-pelvis) and so far am getting there slowly....ditched the walker but still very tired and lots of angry nerves waking up but like you so much less pain than before surgery!!! 
    I am very glad you are doing well!!! Congrats!!!
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• JameyhJJameyh Atlanta, Ga.Posts: 98
    So happy for you Susanj....Congrats on a successful surgery
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,478
    Susan! Wow, that's great to hear! Keep up the good work just don't overdo! 
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • SusanjSSusanj FloridaPosts: 45
    I had a fusion from T10 thru L5-S1 as well as 5 laminectomies. Yes, I am still on pain meds but a reduced amount. WLLady, I am so happy to hear that you too are doing well. I also have some angry nerves! Are you using a bone growth stimulator?
  • Great news, Susan!!!  SO glad to hear you're coming along well!!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,493
    susanj- no bone stimulator but they did put a pile of BMP soaked beads up and down my spine where they did laminectomies-i too have 5 laminectomies!  my surgeon thought that was easier and faster than doing 10 decompressions and the possibly having to go back in later again just to remove more.  apparently the bmp (bone morphogenic protein) acts as a stimulator, promoting bone growth where ever it is put.  I'm doing great too!  i just managed 0.5km on my treadmill because i got tired of walking circles around my house.  I've been off all the pain meds for a while now, just regular tylenol and gabapentin now.....i can finally think clearer without the hydromorph!  the waking up nerves are obnoxious, sometimes my legs will twitch and i'll get zaps....but it's all okay.  it's so much better than before surgery!  fingers crossed you keep feeling better and better!!!!

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

advertisement