Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

4 days post op ACDF C5-7

My surgery was Thursday morning in Birmingham, Al.  My surgeon said it could not have gone better.  Since I did not have pain or numbness/tingling (my problem was muscle loss in my shoulder, tricep and hand) it is hard for me to gage how successful the surgery will be. He said my disc were pressing against the spinal cord and he had to remove bone spurs.  I felt really good in recovery and was able to swallow pills with little problem. I spent one night in the hospital and was released on Friday to make a 4 hour drive back to Florida which caused no discomfort. So far everything has gone really well and I am only experiencing some discomfort in swallowing and tightness in my upper back.  I am still taking some pain meds and muscle relaxers but I will try to go without them soon.  I will wear a bone growth stimulator 4 hours a day for 3 months.  I seem to be able to turn my head as well as I could before surgery but he told me not to be trying to do this and that I should regain full motion.  The primary goal for my surgery was to stop the progression of muscle loss and hopefully get some muscle back but no guarantees.  I was fearful of waking up with pain or problems I did not have beforehand so I am posting this for anyone facing this type of surgery in hopes it may make you a little less fearful.  I am 62 and in very good health otherwise and have not had any previous spinal surgeries.  I have had total knee replacement in both knees and this surgery was a piece of cake in comparison.  I am taking a product called Ultimate Bone Builder in hopes that it will help with the fusion.  Now it is just a waiting game.    
advertisement

Comments

• drkimjddrkimj MarylandPosts: 15
    Thank you so much for sharing this!  I am having a 4 level ACDF tomorrow (C3/4 through C6/7).  It's so encouraging to hear your positive results.  I wish you a continued speedy recovery.
  • georgejonesggeorgejones Santa Rosa Beach, FlPosts: 24
    Good luck tomorrow.  Stay positive.
  • advertisement