Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Depressing visit with Neurosurgeon

Following up from my previous post I had my first appointment with the neurosurgeon today. After having no luck with injections, PT, chiropractor and massages, at the recommendation of my massage therapist I went to a neurosurgeon.

Well the visit was depressing. So I knew that my L3-L4 disc was torn and herniated, and that L4-L5 was also torn and herniated, however, the Ortho I had been seeing missed that L5-S1 is also torn and herniated. 

The surgeon said I would be a candidate for a 2 level possible 3 level spinal fusion. However he is not ready to or willing to do that yet. He wants me to continue with the injections and trying other means of relief. He told me up front that the results of the fusion vary between 50%-70% success and so he really really pushes people to not consider this surgery because as he put it "it's a very big, very intense surgery" to deal with the pain in other means as long as possible until it starts to impede on their ability to function daily. 

I feel stuck. I by no means want to have a surgery with such mixed success rates, but I am also extremely limited on the options I have. It's pretty much just more injections. I can't even take NSAIDs or pain medication because of my gastric bypass. 
advertisement

Comments

• catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 157
    I also have herniated disks and stenosis L3-L4; L4-L5; L5-S1 and big stomach problems because NSAIDs.
    I am just learnead how to avoid movements that exacerbate pain, from walking, dressing, entering in a car and so on.
    As anti inflammatory I take a natural product enzyme based, that clearly improved my morning stiffness 
    I am doing some special exercises with no spine movement 
    Spine movement triggered some sharp knife pain and once one happened my day had a very poor prognosis 

What I described above may have no connection with your condition just seems to improve mine.
     I still need more testing before drawing a conclusion