Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Question About Pain Dr Med Policy

advertisement

Comments

• To SickofThisPain- Thanks for the encouragement. I've been so mad lately about the way I've been treated, but I'll keep looking. 

Last month I went back to an office where there's a neurologist and a DO that does injections. Same office where I got 3 epidurals and facet injections back in 2013. I just went there to discuss my pain magement and see if they could help me, but ended up getting scolded by the nurse practitioner and never saw the doctor. When I told her I didn't want more injections because they didn't help anymore I was told they don't prescribe pain meds without also doing injections! I told her I wasn't there for a prescription and explained that I have a contract with another pain center and she said, "I know, I saw that in the database and I called them to tell them you were here and that I was only going to give you a second opinion about your back." This place has every single patient that walks through the door do a urine test, even if they aren't prescribed any medication by the doctors there. I was so upset when I left, afraid I'd end up getting fired by my current PM for just talking to another provider.

It's gotten so crazy I really don't think I can find a new PM doc in my area (N. Alabama) but I may look out of town. Hundreds of pain patients here have been left stranded recently because PM docs have suddenly closed their doors. Primary care doctors won't prescribe opioids any more either. At all. Doesn't matter if they've helped your pain and function for years. Doesn't matter if you're low risk for abuse. 

On the bright side, I did see the out of town neurosurgeon this month who says there's a good chance I can get some relief of my neck, upper back, and arm pain by having another fusion. He wants to put in a plate and fuse c4-5, 5-6, and also plate the existing fusion at c6-7.  I told him if it reduced my overall pain just 20-25% it would be worth it to me. The thought that I might get some relief gives me hope, but it also validates my opinion that my pain has been dismissed and undertreated for a long time. 

• I absolutely love that we trust our doctors who most likely have never experienced pain or chronic pain like we have to where sometimes dying feels like the best option. They look in their book and decide that your case is in that book. Every person needs to have their regimen tailored to them. Some of the greatest doctors know this and follow this idea using what works for most but is special to you. Whether this requires more of this or maybe less of that. Going to a doctor that has his mind made up on how much or how little medication you need is not my doctor. I would keep searching. We're not the same and we never will be. You can not treat us medically like we are. 
  • advertisement