Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

CDC

advertisement

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't know how many of you have went to the CDC website and looked at the way they generated their numbers but that is a huge problem with me. The way they lump Heroin in with prescribed opioids it just goes on and on with how they got numbers from surveys but no details that mean anything. There is another post on how the news media etc. play the same game if the truth be known I would bet all their numbers could be argued. 

Look at this information from their web-site: I find the last statement  is the sum of it all right there they state " no matter what the data says". So how did they come up with their numbers when you factor in they don't even know what drugs were in the system  and the drugs are not listed on the death certificate. 

Drug overdose deaths can be hard to categorize at bottom of page.

Prescription Opioids

Opioid analgesics (commonly referred to as prescription opioids) have been used to treat moderate to severe pain in some patients. Natural opioids, semi-synthetic opioids, methadone (a synthetic opioid), and some other synthetic opioids are commonly available by prescription.

Fentanyl

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is legally made as a pharmaceutical drug to treat pain, or illegally made as a non-prescription drug and is increasingly used to intensify the effects (or “high”) of other drugs, such as heroin

How the data are calculated

CDC’s standard analysis approach has combined the natural, semi-synthetic, and synthetic opioid categories (including methadone) when reporting deaths involving opioid analgesics, also referred to as prescription opioids. Using this method, in 2015 there were over 22,000 deaths involving prescription opioids, equivalent to about 62 deaths per day. This is an increase from approximately 19,000 in 2014.1 A significant portion of the increase in deaths was due to deaths involving synthetic opioids other than methadone, which includes fentanyl. Law enforcement agencies have reported recent increases in seizures of illegally-made (non-pharmaceutical) fentanyl.2 It is presumed that a large proportion of the increase in deaths is due to illegally-made fentanyl.1Unfortunately, information reported about overdose deaths does not distinguish pharmaceutical fentanyl from illegally-made fentanyl.

Given the recent surge in illegally-made fentanyl, the CDC Injury Center is analyzing synthetic opioids (other than methadone) separately from other prescription opioids. This new analysis can provide a more detailed understanding of the increase in different categories of opioid deaths from previous years. Using this analysis, in 2015 there were more than 15,000 deaths involving this more limited category of prescription opioids (an increase in this category of 443 since 2014), equivalent to about 42 deaths per day.3 Changing the way deaths are analyzed seems to result in a decrease in deaths involving prescription opioids. But, this new number is likely an undercount of deaths related to prescription opioids, because it does not include deaths that are associated with pharmaceutical fentanyl, tramadol, and other synthetic opioids that are used as pain relievers.

What this means

Drug overdose deaths can be hard to categorize

In approximately 1 in 5 drug overdose deaths, no specific drug is listed on the death certificate. In many deaths, multiple drugs are present, and it is difficult to identify which drug or drugs caused the death (for example, heroin or a prescription opioid, when both are present).3

Regardless of the analysis strategy used, prescription opioids continue to be involved in more overdose deaths than any other drug, and all the numbers are likely to underestimate the true burden given the large proportion of overdose deaths where the type of drug is not listed on the death certificate. 

Ok it just really gets to me all of it, if a important group life the CDC cares and I know they do they should of put a lot more effort in to the numbers because I would bet with my life that prescription drugs are not near as high as they state. Yes there is a problem with deaths due to prescription drugs but not near what they paint.

Enough too long just gets so so old I'm done.

Sherri

• advertisement
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Ohio enacting 7 day opiate rule which is fine for acute pain, my concern is that in several articles non-acute is implied as  hospice and cancer.  Nothing regarding run of mill refractory chronic patient 

"The limits apply to acute pain patients, with exceptions for cancer, hospice or addiction patients. Prescribers can override the limits if they provide a specific reason in the patient's medical record."
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 389
    edited 03/30/2017 - 11:20 PM
    We actually had a discussion about the way the stats are generated in my EMT class last week. The general consensus was that the overdose rate in Northern NY is insane:

Kieran 
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

My Story: http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/90688/pain/neck-pain-cervical/help#latest

advertisement