Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Toronto Canada - C3-4(spacer), C4-7 (ACDF fusion)

Hello,
This forum is awesome!!!  So excited to feel not so alone.  I am trying to figure things out at my end in order to recover properly and deal with the pain which sometimes drag me down.  I hope to learn and also pay it forward so feel free to reach out and PM me anytime.  I'm 41 years old and in good health.  I have degenerative disc disease, myleopathy, bone spurs, osteoarthritis, and all those other terms which are hard to pronounce....but reminding myself everyday of the countless blessings I have in my life.

Good luck everyone,
Mark

summary of my situation.....

1st Surgery Nov 2015:  
ACDF fusion of C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 joined with titanium plate

2nd Surgery Dec 2016:  
Single level fusion of C3-4 joined with zero-p spacer disc insert.

What I learned:

1)take it easy after a fusion for at least a FULL year as other discs are susceptible to herniation. Don't just start doing physio stretches after 6-8 weeks as you could be putting too much strain on discs above and below.

2)bone spurs formed inside of my initial fusion and was compressing my spinal cord again.....symptoms(leg clumsiness, clonus) returned, thought it was just recovery pain but it was not.....listen to your body, if something feels wrong, it likely is.

3)try to stay off the percocet type meds(if you can handle the pain) as it is addictive faster than you think and can be hard to wean off. Also when there is no pain you might think you can do more than you should.

4)practice 10 min of "mindfulness" everyday in order to prevent pain frustration and depression.

5)lose weight! (still struggling here)
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello markrebello !

please click on link for helpful information!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hiya, thanks for the link.
  • advertisement
  • sherrygirlssherrygirl ontario canadaPosts: 163
    edited 01/19/2017 - 12:08 AM
    Hello mark
    I just  recently was reading a book from a surgeon in the toronto area. Is your surgery a success story? Welcome to the group.
  • I'm not sure if mine is a success story quite yet.  THe first surgery was 3 disc ACDF and after a year I had multiple bone spurs form inside the fusion....2nd fusion had a disc inserted in c3-4 and bone spurs were taken away but I think another disc is gone in my last cervical C7-T1 or C8 I think...also  my lumbar is going.....arrrrggg...  oh well, I'm still very blessed in so many ways and trying to keep positive.  legs spastic and constant aching/pain.  Trying to stay away from Percocet but every now and then it is necessary.
  • sherrygirlssherrygirl ontario canadaPosts: 163
    I understand what you are saying my mri show problems in both neck an lumbar. C5 an C6 moderate to severe with spinal stenosis it's biltral and narrowing they say into spine cord I also have bone spurs too an unconventional degenative changes. My lumbar is mild disc protrusion with annular tearing causing mild spinal stenosis it's biltral too in L4 L5. I yesterday spoke with social worker explain everything he feels I should go to the spine clinic in one of our hospitals.
    I feel blessed everyday an work through this condition. I have research some advancements that ontario has made. My fingers are crossed to get into spine clinic 
  • advertisement
advertisement