Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Cauda Equina Syndrome

First off, I would like to say that I am so fortunate to be alive and walking on my own after a frightening CAS experience. My neurosurgeon informed me that I was less than 12 hrs off from being permanently paralyzed!  I had a larger than gold ball size epidural abssess pressing on  my spinal cord...L4-S1 along with a massive infection in my lower back. I had a L1-S1 incision to be taken care of....With that said my left over pain and pressure is in my lefy buttocks and rectum and perineum area.  I am lucky to get into a renown spinal infection neurosurgeon who is taking care of me ...looks like I have some L-4 impringment . Enough said...Being alive and being able to walk on my own is my outcome after major CAS. IF you have major  low back pain and cannot urinate or have a BM,  call 911 and get to the hospital ASAP for an MRI - I was going to my regular DR and the ER and no one was diagnosing CES therefore, the clock was ticking !!!! YIKES ! I am happy to find this website to share my experience and learn more ....Hopeful to get this pain and pressure fixed as it came after surgery in SEPT 2016 and I am patiently awaiting it - the pain and pressure -to go away ....
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    edited 01/23/2017 - 5:53 AM
    hello maureen55 !
    it is so good that you received the help you needed !...and that you are not paralyzed!
    and thank you for sharing you're situation. it's so good that you knew something was not right and you continued asking for help,until someone listened!

i may have missed it, but what kind of surgery are you patiently awaiting to have in sept, 2017?

please click on link for helpful information!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I have nerve root from L4 compressed -according to  new MRI- , 4 mos after CES decompression---awaiting for next DR visit for his diagnosis and options.
    I suggest if anyone cannot get help on first DR visit for low back pain and fever - then call 911 and get to a hospital ASAP ....once you are there , they hopefully wont send you home but get an MRI done immediately; Cauda Equina SYNDROME along with a massive spinal staph infection puts you in ICU after surgery! Still thankful I can walk and just dealing with nerve pain & pressure down buttocks /rectum/perineum. Now going to a SPINAL INFECTION and DISEASE neurosurgeon...I know that I need the very best DR on my follow -up.

• advertisement