Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

New to Forum, Not to Spine Issues

Greetings! I'm a 57 year old man who is getting ready for my second spine surgery. My first was an L4-L5 laminectomy in April 2008. My second will be on February 14 of this year. It's also going to be a laminectomy, this time @L1-L3. Both surgeries address(ed) central stenosis.

My primary symptom is leg weakness and muscle fatigue. This has been getting progressively worse over the last 5 years. I am at a point where after walking less than a mile my legs stop listening to my brain. I simply lose control of them and it's either sit down or fall down image" alt="image" alt=":smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" />" height="20" />" height="20" />  Current MRI shows "severe thecal sac compression with obliteration of CSF". I do have lower back pain associated with degenerative disk disease and foraminal stenosis @L5-S1. I am more than willing to cope with this discomfort for the foreseeable future if I can walk like a normal person again.

It can be difficult to sort out all of these issues, and that I have MS makes it even more fun! 

Kyle
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello kwarendorf !
    There are many of us here, myself included, who understand that fall down business. 
    I am so grateful that I have not broken anything. I think over the years, I'm learning how to fall! I don't know :)
    It's not easy when the body doesn't cooperate and I can understand that yes, your MS must complicate things.

Hopefully, your upcoming surgery will be of much benefit to you!

You may find...Post op Must Haves....interesting reading, along with.....Recovery the Most Important Phase.....
    You can find both by using search, upper right on page.

Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Sue - I trust my doc, as he has fixed me before. My trust in him started the first time I saw him and he told me I didn't need an operation. I figured I could trust a surgeon who told me I didn't need surgery :) 

My expectations are realistic. I know that the surgery is unlkely to help with my L5-S1 discomfort, but oh to walk again... :)

Kyle
  • advertisement
  •  Hi Kyle, I know all too well how stenosis impedes walking ability, making it difficult to ambulate. I also have degenerative central canal and foraminal stenosis in multiple levels of the thoracic and lumbar spine. I'm at the point where corrective surgery isn't an option, and had recently had spinal cord stimulator surgery. MS does compound the problem and I'm glad yours is being managed well. Best wishes on your Valentine's Day surgery. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS