Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Harrington Rod Removal

lannetteallannettea Posts: 3
edited 01/23/2017 - 4:33 PM in Recovering from Surgery
i had a 54 curvature with scoliosis. I was able to get surgery through [edit] I went in at 5'4 and came out at 5'6.5 . I was 17 at the time. They were done with titanium, not steel. I am 34 now and I had to quit working. I couldn't stand or sit for long periods of time. When I would get up from sitting, I'd stand up crooked and couldn't fix myself upright. I knew something was wrong , but all the doctors kept telling me everything looked great. My pain worsened, I laid around on heating pad and gained weight from a sedentary lifestyle. I also had chronic migraines from all the muscle tightness in my neck and shoulders. I finally found a doctor that said they would remove them. I almost cried from joy. I am a month in and I can tell you that this surgery is not nearly as painful as the first one. The muscle spasms are something else though. Everyday it's a new group a muscles flaring up. I'm sure that this was because of all the cutting through to remove them. They removed everything. The rods, the screws, all of it. Even with this new pain , I can live with it more than I had before. I was at the point of despair and because of my age, no one took my pain seriously. I just wanted to share my story and if you decide to remove them, for me at least, best decision I could ever have made. Feel free to ask if you have questions. I'm only a month in though. 
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,270
    hello lannettea !
    while you are waiting for responses from members with shared experiences, using search may benefit you, upper right on page.
    you may be led to,current or older discussions.
    you,may be led to medical side with articles and videos. very impressive!

please click on link for helpful information
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thank you, I've looked and only could find people that would remove them and then re-get them. Do you have any suggestions on where to look? Anything would help. I'm a month and a glance at the future might give me hope through thus pain.
  • advertisement
  • I'm really considering having mine removed too. I am 23 almost 24 and I had my surgery in 2008. I am happy to hear about your success with this operation. I would love to stay updated on your progress! I am visiting with my doctor soon to see if I can get mine removed. I am praying I can too.  The pain  is unreal sometimes. Anyways, I wish you all the best and thank you for your story.
  • Reading this has given me so much hope, I'm.also 34 and had removal surgery just 11 days ago(original corrective surgery may 2014)  had everything took out as it was causing more hassle than good due to an allergy from it. So far my left side has started to have feeling in it after being numb for 3 years nearly. I'm absolutely thrilled with how the surgery went just 40 minutes it took. Please keep us updated on how your doing and here's to the future :)
advertisement