Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Herniated disc L4-5

Hi

This is my first post on this forum and I'm hoping to get some help from others who have 'been there, done that.'  In late October I herniated a disc at L4-5. I was in tremendous pain and actually had to go to the ER, since I was away from home. Since then I have had an MRI, been to the neurosurgeon, had PT, and now I am going for an epidural next week. My pain is not as intense as when the rupture occurred, but I get spasms quite frequently and my leg weakness/numbness scares me. Will the epidural help with the weakness? I feel like I could trip and fall at any time. Pain meds help with the pain when I take them. Luckily I don't have to take them too much, mostly at night to help with sleeping. I am feeling confused as to what to do next. Is there any time frame in which the nerve that is compressed could have permanent damage? Unfortunately, I can't get through my neuro's medical assistant to ask him these questions.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jacki

advertisement

Comments

• kwarendorfkkwarendorf Posts: 36
    edited 01/25/2017 - 9:03 AM
    Hi Jacki - 

I'm not sure the epidural will do much for weakness. In my experience weakness is caused by the mechanical compression of nerves. The injection won't really address the compression caused by your ruptured disk. Epidurals are mainly designed to provide pain relief.

Also, if your neuro's assistant won;t let you talk to him you might consider looking for a new neuro :)

Kyle
  •   Thanks Kyle, unfortunately that's what it thought as well :(
  • advertisement
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745
    Epidurals are hit or miss. For me, if it did not work, I was off to surgery. Disc herniation was the beginning of my spine surgeries in 2001. L4/L5. GLTU
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello sunbunny24 !
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thanks jimandjr and that is what I'm trying to prevent....surgery. Ugh!
  • advertisement
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745
    Sometimes surgery is the only option. GLTU. 
advertisement