Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Super scared

Hi everyone! I hope you're all having a good day! Ok, so here's my question, and I'll try to make this short but sweet. I started going to a pain management clinic, about 8 months ago. I have herniations at l4-5, l5-s1, as well as torn discs. My provider, while friendly enough, is often in and out, within 5 minutes, no exaggeration. When I talk to him, he stares at his computer and doesn't seem to listen very well. Unfortunately, this is the only PM clinic near me, so my options are limited. He put me on tizanidine 4 mg, and hydrocodone 5/325 3 times daily. I tried telling him repeatedly that I often have to take two hydrocodone to feel any kind of relief, and he told me I can take two in the morning, and one at night....which I'm sure you can imagine does nothing. So I often had to double up and plow through the the Rx. Whic makes my urine test come back in a not so great manner. I wrote the office a lengthy email the other day, letting them know what my concerns are,  and received a call from the nurse telling me I had to come speak to the doc. I know I broke the cardinal rule of pain management by taking my meds as I needed them, but I feel some blame lays with my doc. I've been dying for him to just LISTEN to me. Without staring at his computer or rushing out. I don't expect pain free, I just expect functional. I don't depend solely on the meds either...I do yoga and OTC lidocaine patches as well. I'm just scared for this appointment and would like to hear from others who may have had this issue. Thanks a lot! 
advertisement

Comments

• Appointment today, and I can't thank you enough fr this forum!! I took in a plan, what I'm doing, what I've been taking, my long term goals for pain management. I told him I'm taking turmeric, drinking Chaga tea, yoga, my Gazelle, and pain meds. He increased my dosage, added neurontin for the pain in my legs, and on his way out he said "keep up the good work!" Total honesty, laying your soul bare. He wasn't mad at me at all about taking extra, he said next time, just call. Turns out I underestimated us both! 

On Another note, please please please, look into Chaga. It's a mushroom that grows on birch trees, you can either find it yourself or buy it. The benefits are amazing, and it has truly helped my energy levels and it has cancer combatting agents, as well as natural analgesic properties. Love the stuff. 

Anyway, I really want to thank you all for your posts. I learned a lot. Is there anything else I should be doing? Any suggestions for exercises, stretches, natural remedies? I'm not made of money, so I can't spend a lot. But anything would help. Thanks!! 
  •  Wow, that's awesome news..really glad for you. It usually ends up in a bad way by means of dismissal. It is a good ending indeed. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Reminder.....natural remedies i.e..above, mushrooms off a tree......and or herbal treatments should not be taken without MD approval.
    Your Doctor should know everything you are taking.
    Thank you......
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Savage, I did indeed clear the Chaga and turmeric with my provider. He said it's fine, to go ahead and give whatever I could a shot. I made him a journal of what I'm trying, what I haven't, what's working, and what's not. We discussed the fact that the pain meds are only a small part of my pain management, as I don't want to rely solely on them. 

Meyday-- thank you! I was so relieved but I wanted to be honest with him...he told me to take my time with my appointment...turns out I had to be just a little proactive and let him know what its was I was needing from him! Whew. Hope you're having a lovely day. 
  • Thanks Jend, I hope you do as well. Glad you found alternative ways to treat you pain. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    I agree with Meydey, above!
    Even if it is OTC aids or other alternate ways treat pain is important for all of us!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement