Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I know it's early post-ACDF, but question about symptoms...

Thanks for reading and offering advice/experience.

I'm 1 week post-op from C6-7 ACDF. Prior to surgery, I had about 5-6 months of slight but noticeable weakness of my R triceps with some muscle loss. I also had pins/needles with certain neck/arm positions, especially in the top of the forearm and my thumb/index fingers. My recovery has been going ok so far-- only need vicodin at bedtime, and I'm getting by with only tylenol through the day. So far, no pin/needles in my arm, but I noticed immediately postop that my R index finger is quite a bit more numb and my R triceps is noticeably weaker. 

Other than the usual swallowing stuff, this is the only thing really bothering me-- more so because I have no idea if it will continue to improve. My surgeon says this is not unexpected and feels that I just need time for things to improve. I suspect/hope he is correct, but I'd love to hear from anyone else who has had post-op worsening of weakness-- did it indeed get better with time? Am I just being paranoid? I know these things can take many months, but I'm just worried. Thanks to anyone who answers!!

R
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    pixierandy

At only 1 week post op, keep in mind that you probably have some swelling and that your nerves were probably stretched a bit during surgery, so having new symptoms is not all that unusual.

With that said, anytime that you have serious concerns, don't hesitate to call your surgeon's office and ask questions.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Hi

I am three months post op of two level acdf 5-7.  I have all the same symptoms as I had before surgery.  I have neck pain, shoulder pain, shoulder blade pain and arm pain.  If anything I am worse now than before surgery.  So much so I wish I had not had it done.  I have had to go on steroids because I could not turn my neck to the left at all.  Not trying to scare you but it can happen.  When I talked to surgeon he said well......?   He did not paint such a rosey picture as before surgery.  I still take pain and muscle relaxers three months post op.  I go back to dr next week but am not hopeful.  I do not want another surgery.  Not sure what to do. 

• advertisement