Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New medication,a little confused

My pain DR prescribed cymbals, looking for some answers on how long it takes to work.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,249
    edited 02/02/2017 - 2:42 PM
    Wikipedia said:

Duloxetine, sold under the brand name Cymbalta among others,[1] is mostly prescribed for major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain.[2
    I assume this is the medication you are talking about?  How long?  Many different factors.  What are the other medications you are talking?   And is the cymbalta for depression or for fibromyalgia ?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • The reason for the cymbalta is for anxiety and chronic back pain, I've had 4back operations the last one with hardware.Im currently on 320mg of OXYCONTIN,480mg of ROXICODONE,2mg of Lorazepan 4times a day, now 60mg of cymbalta.oh, I've been on the pain meds dosages for 8years, I can't take it anymore.Just started the cymbals yesterday 2/1/2017.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,249
    Please is it Cymbals  (which you have mentioned several times) or Cymbalta ?

I dont know if you are just doing abbreviated text (which is a forum violation) or if there is something called cymbal as a medicine (even though I cant find it)

I sure hope you are not on 320mg of Oxycontin daily.   The most I have ever heard is 180mg.   320 is basically enough to put an elephant to sleep.  During my worst times, I had 80mg of Oxycontin a day and that was more than enough.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello tm430 !

Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Your medications are concerning.  Like Ron mentioned, your dosages are high.  But your also taking a benzo medication (Lorazapam)which could be interacting with the pain medication.  Given what your taking, you may be having rebound pain.  I'd personally be asleep 23 out of 24 hours taking what you are taking!

I'd suggest a second opinion from another doctor.  As none of us can really say we know what you're going through (each person handles pain differently) I really think another set of eyes on your medical condition may be a good thing.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
advertisement