Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Numbness after discectomy

• I took ibuprofen maybe once a day... but I didn't notice any difference as it probably wasn't enough. I have stomach problems and my GP recommends that I don't take it. She may tell that to everyone, I don't know. I used to take it for everything, but I've stopped. For a couple of weeks I was in some real pain and took the prescribed pain meds. I was also prescribed Neurontin for my foot, which is pins and needles all the time, but I haven't been taking it.

L5/S1 Discectomy on 7/29/08
  • I'm not walking as much as I should on my own (except when i go shopping), but in PT I do a combination of stretches you can do at home, as well as exercises on their equipment.

For example,
    1) Squats against a wall, with an exercise ball behind my back.
    2)I lie on my back with my feet on the ball and I lift up and tighten my butt (called "bridges").
    3) Squeeze a small ball between your knees. tighten your stomach, butt and knees at the same time (or in sequence). hold for 5 secs and relax. do 20.

4) Lie on your back - lift up one leg and put a belt or towel around your foot and pull. That stretches your hamstring.

Also a good one: lie on your back and bend your left leg. Put your right foot on your left knee. Using your left hand, pull your right knee all the way over to the left. It's hard to describe w/out seeing this but it is a common stretch. As with all of these, alternate legs.

I do these on a mat at home while watching TV. Once they release me I need to be more diligent about doing them at home.

I still get lower back aches from standing and walking but more like a normal person might get, or like I got before the sciatica started!

Good luck
  • advertisement
  • I know how every feels. My left foot numbness and left leg pain started the day after fusion. Went yesterday and had a nerve conductance study (part 1). Monday I get to have the worst part of the study with the needles. I can only walk about 200 ft before the pain in my foot is so bad I have to sit down. I cannot wear shoes and have been wearing flip flops since surgery in Sept. My next Ortho visit is Nov 12th and he will have the results from the nerve study so maybe they will figure it out. The neurontin kinda helps with the tingling but not the pain. And the leg pain at night really sucks as you cannot get a good nights sleep. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Think about me Monday at 10AM when I am being poked with needles LOL. ~X(

• I am also having the same problems. I had a partial disk removal in my lower back. It was pressing on a nerve and causing severe left leg pain.

I to had heard of stories of people who had similar surgeries, and as soon as they woke up felt relief. I was hoping that would be me also, but it wasn't. I am feeling even worse leg pain now, and the worst part is the tingling in my foot.

During the day it's not to bad, but at night, I cannot sleep it's so bad, especially if I walk to much. I am really concerned because when I told my surgeon a week ago, he said maybe it's another ruptured disc. I am positive it's not, and I believe it's a nerve problem.

I do see my Dr. next week, and I am afraid he will try to send me back to work. I work 12 hour shifts, and they are hard-working shifts. We are always on our feet and doing a lot of walking around all the time.

How did all of you guys manage with work? Were most of you just lucky and had desk jobs? If not, are you working now? I don't know what I will do if it takes a year or longer for the nerves to heal! I know I will lose my job if that happens, and there is no way I could work in this condition. It would be to painful! What do most of you do?
  • Had laminectomy/discectomy L4/L5 early May - and STILL have more pain and numbness down thighs (more front/sides than back) and major numbness and pain from knees through both feet than ever had before surgery...

I got 2nd opinion and just found out I have a new herniation - meet with NS next week to get the full story. I don't think I can ever bring myself to have another surgery after what happened with the first. I wish I felt as "bad" as I did before surgery!! I'm afraid a 2nd operation would put me in a wheelchair for life!

Big question that I never seem to get an answer from docs: If I just live with the nerve pain in my legs, and get on with it, walk, do things.... am I just doing more and more damage to the nerves or will they just hurt but not change my ability to move??? Anybody out there know???
    Thanks!! Rosa
  • advertisement
  • Hi all, I had a herniation back in 2000, when I felt the disc herniat with excrutiating pain radiating down right buttock,leg and foot, same time I lost feeling. I had a discectomy for L5-S1 about 6 weeks later, after surgery and follow up, my NS told me that my right ankle reflex was "dead" (no bedside manner) and he didn't know if i'd regain feeling. Well I haven't, in fact a lot of days it's worse, and nothing is showing why, no nerve impingements on MRI's, no new nerve damage according to recent EMG either, no explanation at all basically. So hard to function yes and do drag the right leg behind me unfortunately. Have other issues that are causing chronic back pain that are not operable but thought i would jump in on the numbness thread! Not saying this will happen to anyone else, and hope it doesn't!

Take care
  • And great description of stretches. I did almost all of them in PT. B)
    MackemMagic said:
    Hi everyone,
    IHas anyone else had a similar experience with the delayed onset of pain akin to pre-op?
    Yes. It's pretty typical. You should be OK. Don't push it to hard. Be careful not to twist, bend, or lift, of course. Good luck. B)
    Olivia23 said:
    How did all of you guys manage with work? Were most of you just lucky and had desk jobs? If not, are you working now? I don't know what I will do if it takes a year or longer for the nerves to heal! I know I will lose my job if that happens, and there is no way I could work in this condition. It would be to painful! What do most of you do?
    Having a desk job is no good for back surgery recovery. Too much sitting is worse than standing or walking. Everything is bad in excess.

I'm going to miss 7 months of work in 2008. 3 different short term disability claims (via a work plan). I also used a month of sick and vacation. Worked 4 months this year. My 1st micro I got 4 weeks recovery. 8 weeks on the 2nd. Doc says 6-8 on my next one also.

In your situation perhaps with acupuncture and meds you could make it through work? Maybe on a part time basis? Maybe if you talked to HR about long term disability? Fail that, maybe a social worker?

ROSA- I could guess but your seeing the NS soon. Ask him. My thoughts are that unless the current MRI shows big time nerve compression you're not doing big damage. Just my thoughts. Ah crap...I went ahead and guessed didn't I? :)

3/27/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
    6/27/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy

Current Status = Re-reherniated. Next surgery:
    12/01/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy

• cyberdivaccyberdiva Posts: 2
    edited 12/25/2013 - 4:51 PM
    mchell6789 said:
    After my first microdiscectomy I had foot numbness and tingling for about a year most of the time. Then it would just go numb when I would walk and after two years it completely disappeared.
    Reading this has helped me so very much. I was JUST released from my surgeon on 12/20. So, of course my toes (the first three) on my right foot started to go numb again.

I love this forum!!!
  • I have undergone microdisctomy 3 days back and I am suffering from the numbness from lower back to the toes of my left leg for half an inch width throughout. But, my leg pain has completely disappeared. As per the surgeon, it will take time to get the full sensation of the nerve and I put this issue in a ' separate compartment' and moving forward with all hopes of sensation to this nerve at the right time. After reading the experiences of many other friends gone through the same, my confidence level has further improved.
  • Rods painRods pain Posts: 24
    edited 09/07/2014 - 5:15 PM
    I'm about 12 weeks out from a MD and I still have severe numbness in my left foot / toes. Dr is scheduling me for a back injection to help with the pain. I keep hearing give it time, but its now starting to scare me. I have read so may prior posts on this and then they disappear. Either they got better or no longer care to share their stories good or bad. Please keep writing specially if you had improvement. I will be so happy to write when if every I get better.
This discussion has been closed.