Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Neck MRI-foraminal narrowing and thecal sac flattening

I have neck pain that occasionally goes into the right shoulder. It is very severe when it goes to the right shoulder...No tingling or numbness. I had an MRI recently (1 week ago) that said:
There is severe disc space narrowing C5-6  C6-7 C7-T1....
C 4-5 A broadbased disc osteophyte indents the ventral thecal sac at this level.The ventral cord is contacted. There is mild canal narrowing. Moderate right and moderate to severe  left foraminal narrowing are present  secondary  to facet and    uncovertebral joint hypertrophy.
C5-6--A broad based disc calcified indents  the ventral thecal sac at this level. The ventral cord is contacted. There is mild canal narrowing. The ventral thecal sac is flattened. Uncovertable joint hypertrophy and facet hypertrophy  contribute to severe right and moderate to severe left sided foraminal narrowing. "
Id like to know what I could do to keep it from getting worse and to avoid surgery if possible. I take care of my mom who is 92 and I have to stay healthy. What is the best pain med to take? I take Advil now

Are there good exercises for this?

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,612
    edited 02/11/2017 - 1:28 PM
    Hello braves11
    There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test 

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Please click on link for information about Spine-health
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Braves,
    welcome to spine health forums.  I am an LPN in NYS for many years and have rather moderate to severe neck pain with neuropathy, numbness and tingling going down my right arm. I went to my general practitioner for quite awhile after I was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis. He helped keep an eye on my condition and prescribed appropriate pain medicine. It was startling and scary. But talking honestly with my doctor was very important to helping me manage a very serious condition.
    when my neck started falling apart I had to learn to accept that I couldn't control it. I tried almost everything. I was as proactive as was sensible. I went to all of my apptments., and there were many. I learned to have faith that I was not alone. Eventually I was referred to a surgeon to consider having my pain managed by fixing it.
    the surgery was successful and I have been able to move on with my life. There are still some symptoms that I have to deal with. That's life.
    i don't have any answers on how to reverse your condition. But going to your doctor is the wisest thing to do. We learn to help ourselves here. To become proactive with our bodies and the care too. It is scary, but very important to stay in contact with your doctor. There are many wise people on the forums here, and is a good idea to keep looking and talking to people here. This is a reputable place to look for support and info.
    I hope my sharing is a help. 
  • advertisement