Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Rod removal surgery??

I have been suffering with extreme chronic pain for 5+ years after I got the corrective spine surgery for Kyphosis which is two roda in my back. I am fused from T1-T12?? I think... Basically almost from top to bottom. What I'm trying to get to is I am in SO MUCH pain. I feel like I never healed! Ive tried everything. And I'm only 19! My entire teenage experience was spent in bed dealing with pain, and I'm done with it! I've tried everything. Physical therapy, massage, injections, meds, nerve meds, massage, acupuncture, water therapy, you name it I've done it. My condition has gotten so bad it's starting to cause other health issues. Basically I'm just continually going down hill and I'm at my breaking point. I need to be able to finish college and have a job for the rest of my life! Not to mention have kids and be able to raise a family. ANYWAYS 
What I'm trying to get to is I'm at the point where I'm considering getting my rods removed. Has anybody done this? Has it been beneficial or detrimental??? I know it's a big risk, I could get worse. But what if it helps? Has anybody else done this and it helped the pain? But I'm scared because it's not something they usually to for Kyphosis.... Will I be hunchback again? What about the bone fusion? What if it messes up my nerves even more? Ugh! Advise please:( I'm seriously at my wit's end.
advertisement

Comments

• richjhrrichjh Palo Alto CAPosts: 5
    I also have had spinal fusion L4/L5 with rods. I took me about a year for me to heal. I was still in a lot of pain with about six ganglion impar blocks. The last one led to infection. They no longer approved my getting the injection. I went through a trail of Prialt and suffered through the side effects which almost had me stop. I can now say my pain is a manageable 2. I am still tweaking the dose and think I can get it around 1.

As far as moving the rods I guess that would depend on where your pain was. Is your pain from a hernainted disk or your coccyx area. I think we need a bit more information.
    Rich
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello macmoe!

I am curious...what kind of doctor are you working with?
    Its not unusual for after surgery, to be referred to pain management to manage the chronic pain.

I may have missed it...but which doctor have you spoken to re removing your rods?
    Have you had recent X-rays?

While waiting for members with shared experiences to respond, using search may be helpful to you.
    You may be led,to current or older discussions.
    You may be led to medical side.

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement