Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Tough Neck Sugery Decision

Comments

• Thanks Bruce ! I saw a second spinal surgeon today and he said only about 1 % or 10/1000 have such bad mobility problems that they can't drive again - so that's okay I guess.

now the next issue is the second opionion expert wants a radioactive dye CT scan - certainly any additional tests should help the decision ! And the major pain goes on ...thanks ! SDA 
  • Thanks for the other comments !!! 
  • advertisement
  • I have been suffering with chronic neck and shoulder pain for 14 years, headaches, etc.  Probably daily between a 3-7 and then causes headaches.  I am 37 years old.  I have a nearly completely collapsed c4c5 disc.   I do not have any issues with pain, tingling or weakness emanating down my arms.  Two surgeon's recommended surgery, one fusion one replacement based on my age.  I know the outcome is a little less clear with neck/shoulder pain vs. radiating pain.  Has anyone had surgery solely for neck/shoulder pain and has it helped?  
  • in agreement with others, get lots of second opinion, a good MRI and see orthos and NSs, gather all the info you can in order to make an informed, choice. and base your decisions accordingly. Only you can put all the info together, as for the range of motion issue,  I have 0 cervical ROM still drive, had to give up my CDL but no limitations on regular driving,  my motion is from the Ts down and with some creativity not really an issue, again its about choice and condition and for each of us, a whole different situation. Good luck on your journey and keep up on the forums as you'll find you not alone. Take care piperbill
  • My C6-C7 ACDF and C5-C6 and C6-C7 foraminotomy, done separately, were the best things I have ever done. I have been freed from a lifetime of neck pain.

My neck had gotten so bad before surgery that I could barely drive from lack of neck mobility. I didn't drive for 5 1/2 months after my ACDF and even then, I didn't feel confident to return to the crowded freeways. Now, 13 months post-op from my ACDF and 12 weeks post-op from my foraminotomy, I feel fine driving.

Unless you have a problem that doctors are telling you cannot be fixed surgically, I can't understand why you would consign yourself to a lifetime of pain and narcotics when there is a surgical fix.
    C6-C7 ACDF - January 20, 2016
    Shoulder surgery - August 2, 2016
    Interlaminar laminotomy, mesial facetectomy and foraminotomy bilateral at C5-C6 and unilateral left at C6-C7 and bilateral C6-C7 facet fusion - December 7, 2016

• advertisement
advertisement