Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Distraction pain after surgery?

Hello all,

I just recently had Artificial Disc Replacement surgery on my C5-C6 with the pro disc. I'm about 6 weeks post op. I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing the same kind of pain I have been after going back to work? 
I've heard of "distraction pain" but not exactly sure what that means.

My neck and shoulder blades get very sore. and my neck gets very stiff after 3 to 4 hours of holding my head up. Sometimes my muscles feel like they are "catching" on something when i turn my head. Hopefully this makes sense. If there's anyone out there who has had this surgery, or even a fusion I would really like to hear that this is normal and will eventually lessen after a few weeks or months. Also if you did have this sort of pain when did it start to ease up? Thank you in advance!

advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,789
    Hey Mandy,

Sorry to hear you are still in distress.  A certain amount of post cervical pain is not all that uncommon.  When you feel that the pain is unexpected or increasing - You should discuss this with your surgeon sooner rather than later.  Did they have you in a soft collar for a period of time .... When were you released back to work??

Regards,

MN
  • mandykb23mmandykb23 DelawarePosts: 20
    I was allowed to go back to work after 4 weeks post op. The dr didn't have me wear a collar what so ever and he doesn't recommend physical therapy. I'm now 7 weeks post op and the muscle pain and tightness is slowly going down but I still have it. I was reading a little bit on distraction pain and it said that bc the spine is stretched out the muscles have to adapt  and this takes a little while to get used to 
  • advertisement
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,789
    Hey Mandy - 

Good to hear about your progress and it sounds like you are having relatively positive results. 
    Please keep us posted occasionally with your progress as ADR is becoming more widely available and used when appropriately ..... may result in a potentially better outcome than other standard fusion(s).

Regards,

MN