Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L4 - L5 discoscopy recovery tips

Yesterday I came home from hospital a day after this operation. Fitted with a back brace I seemed fairly mobile and relatively pain controlled. First night was hell. Can't get comfortable and slightest movements are agony now. The transition from seated to standing or other way round brings tears to the eyes. Any tips or idea how long to expect this until it eases? 
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,661
    Hello JiffyJaffs 

Please click on link for information about Spine-health
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • KimbraKimbra AustraliaPosts: 58
    From my personal experience: stay on top of your pain meds. Take them like clockwork. It's easier to control pain if you keep on top of it rather than trying to top up once it gets the better of you.
    You were no doubt still a bit hospital drugged. But on the positive side, this is the worst of it! Every day and night will get better! Lots of rest! I was fairly mobile and comfortable getting around after about 2 weeks (not pain free comfortable, but I didn't feel like I was going to fall apart every time I got out of bed)
  • advertisement
  • Hi Kimbra. Many thanks for taking the time to write. How are you now? I think you may well be right about hospital meds. I've been sleeping lots and talking what I should and trying to move about. Hips ache but it's getting better. Sciatic pain seems to have gone but oddly get heavy cramp or numb sensation every now and then. So relieved to have had this operation done now. I'm 45 and felt 20 years plus of that with the pain before op. 
  • sgguitarzzssgguitarzz Yonkers, NYPosts: 6
    Congrats on your surgery. Take your meds as needed but don't get too much with those pain meds. Try to wean off of those as quickly as you can. See if Tylenol gets you through.  The pain will subside in time. The first 2 weeks are the toughest. First couple of days I felt like I was hit in the back with a bat. You do need to move and not just lay in bed. Walk around your house.  Don't overdo but don't underdo either. Of course listen to your doctor and see what he advises and will allow. I am 10 months out doing great. It does get better in time but you also have to work at it. Best of luck.
advertisement