Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Acdf surgery- good so far

Had tingling in left arm and hand. Continuous left shoulder pain for 6 months. What clinched surgery for me was surgeon doing strength tests on arms. Left was much weaker and I hadn't even noticed. Also bicep was 2 inches less in diameter. In addition, I was starting to get numbness in left leg and had been having trouble with right leg for a year. 

Had the surgery on Feb 7, 2017 on ç5-ç6. Left next day with shoulder pain still and was worried. Shoulder pain gone by 3 days later. No tingling in arm, but still do have some numbness in left leg.

No pain pills after 2 days at home. Worst part is being bored stiff. Also, would love to ditch the hard collar. Can't understand why some surgeons want the collars and some not. Not wearing it 24/7; I think that would make neck incredibly weak.

Just wanted to report a good story so far. Also, it's getting real hard to even see the incision.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Thank you for posting!
    It is always good to hear when things go well!

Wishing you the best on your continued recovery!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    weinandymr1

Thanks for sharing your surgery story.    Were you in the hospital for 10 days?

Good luck with the recovery, please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Out of hospital day after surgery
    Sorry, I misunderstood the "after 2 days at home"...  I thought that you meant that today was 2 days.  Thank goodness you weren't in the hospital for 10 days!!! :)

Bruce

It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 739
    I'd follow doc's orders on the collar. Been there. Boring is good. It beats unbearable pain. Good luck with your physical therapy.  My PT was very painful. 
  • advertisement
  • Not doing any pt. Have any appt in 5 weeks to see surgeon again. I asked about PT before surgery and he said no. Seems like every surgeon has different ways to go about this; just like he likes the collar and others don't wear collar at all.
    Strange. I've had 3 spinal surgeries by 2 diff surgeons and each included PT. After many weeks with a pro, I did PT at home. 
    For me, two ACDFs, same surgeon did both, PT after first, no mention of PT after second.

Bruce

• Did talk to his nurse on Monday, 2 weeks after the surgery. I asked if there was anything I could do to stretch out strengthen my neck in next couple weeks. She gave me some resistant exercises; hand on head forward, backward, and either side. Basically not stretching, but strengthening neck
    Good call. I started PT 2 weeks after my cervical ADR. Sooner after my ACDF. GLTU
advertisement