Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Inversion Table and Lower Back Pain

My theory on MY lower back pain is this - the inversion table works for me and here's why.  I am 72 years old.  My back pain was primarily in the morning upon arising.  I would walk twisted and bent sideways.  During the course of the day, my distorted walking would gradually ease up and the pain and muscle spasms would disappear.  After a lot of thought, I came to the conclusion that as we age our muscles tighten up and shrink.  That is a given.  With SO MANY MUSCLES attached to the pelvic girdle it is no wonder why the tightening, shrinking muscles would cause pain in the lower back region.  After walking around for awhile, the muscles would be exercised and relax so I could walk normally again.
Pilates, yoga and toe touches help somewhat in stretching out those muscles.  But, when I started using my Teeter Inversion Table, the difference was like night and day.  After the first usage, I could stand and walk straight upright and the effect would last until the next day.  I did notice that for the first week that I had a lot of soreness in my lower back region as I continued to use the inversion table.  Obviously, all those muscles that attach to the pelvis were not used to being stretched so much for the past 50 years.  No wonder they were screaming a bit.  But, that initial discomfort went away after a week.
I've found that if I do NOT use the inversion table for three or four days that my distorted walk and back pain tends to come back.  So, I use the inversion table at least once and sometimes twice per day to keep my body more limber.  I like to compete in the Senior Games in the shot put, discus and javelin events.  If my back hurts then I can't exercise and weight-lift for those events.  I especially couldn't do torso twisting exercises as is done when throwing the discus.
The inversion table is tremendously effective for people like me who have no underlying physical ailment like a collapsed disc or pinched nerve.  For other people, it may or may not be effective.  It would be best to find a friend or doctor who has one to try it out first to see how you feel afterward.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello TonyinCNY..!

Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• At the advice of my family doctor, I bought an inversion table near the beginning of my recent bought of disc rupture.  I think it would be a good exercise to include in my routine to prevent or relieve my disc before it ruptures.    It's uncomfortable now with the rupture.  

March 20, 2014 - L4/L5 Laminectomy and Microdiscectomy
  • advertisement