Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

    Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Second opinion appreciated!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,082
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I had a horrible car accident in January this year. Below are my damages:

C1 with 1cm fracture, C2, C3, C5, C7 all with fractures.
C1 subluxation.
C3-4 with 3 mm spondylolisthesis, C5-6 with 1.5 mm spondylolisthesis, C6-7 with 3 mm spondylolisthesis.
C5 compressed 30%.
C3-4, C5-6, C6-7 disc herniation
C6-7 longitudinal ligaments ruptured.
C5-6 thecal sac measuring 8.9 mm in AP midline dimension.
No significant encroachment on spinal canal and no compression on the spinal cord which retains it’s normal limits.
Symptoms: headache, can’ t lift right arm, right shoulder numb, right hand index finger and mid finger numb.

I was put in Miami J collar with some physical therapy to my right shoulder. During follow-ups in April and May, my doctor said that I was healing well and definitely don’t need surgery. My headache is gone and I can lift my right arm.

But during June follow-ups, my doctor said that due to bone settlement, my spondylolisthesis have gone a little worse. My spinal cord is compressed a little. After I told him I developed a little knee weakness (knee give away about one time a day during walk). He is forcing surgery now.

My MRI report in June is about the same as in January as for in January. The cervical spinal cord demonstrates subtly altered signal characteristics at the c6-7 level with subtle element of increased signal intensity with increased t2 weighting.

My knee is doing better in July, hardly any give away. I want to wait for more symptoms (if they ever develop) to make my decision whether to have surgery now. I can live with my condition now. Only thing I can’t do is moving my head. I don’t have any pain or weakness.

Can I wait? Your input is deeply appreciated!
advertisement

Comments

  • :SS is surgery the answer for a spinal cord compresion ?
  • ladotd,
    Wow, that sure sounds like a lot! I doubt you will receive a second opinion on here because we aren't doctors. If it were me I'd want a second opinion from a doctor, and maybe even a third, before I had this kind of surgery. From what I've read once you have nerve or spinal cord damage surgery is not guaranteed to reverse it and it may be too late. Maybe that's what your doctor is trying to avoid. Irreversable damage. Then again, who wants surgery if you're doing fine as you are? I wish you the best.
    Teri
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.