Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Microdiscectomy L5S1

I was diagnosed with a herniated disc at L5S1 through an MRI. I was experiencing such sever pain down my left leg and my quality of life significantly decreaed basically to a 0. I walked hunched over and could only lay with my legs on the ground and a stack pillows to my right that I layed on. Walking to the bathroom in our small apartment had me breaking out in a sweat. From my left glute, to my thigh,  to my calf down to my Achilles I experienced  more pain than I can possibly describe. They sent me to get a nerve block injection which increased my pain so much I ended up in the ER 2 nights in a row looking for pain relief even though I was already on 7.5 mg oxy. Nothing helped the nerve pain. I was blessed to have a doc that did not force me to get more injections and recommened a microdisectomy which was by mircale approved for insurance and scheduled 10 days after the initial injection.

Then I started googling and found this site full of horrific stories where peoples pain got worse or never got better after the microdiscectomy. I was extremely nervous about the surgery after reading these posts. My fiancé tried to convice me that the people posting would mainly be people whose surgerts went wrong looking for advice.

I am 1 day post op and let me tell you I definitely think he was right! As soon as I woke up from the surgery my leg pain was COMPLETELY GONE. The Dr said I may end up experiencing "memory" nerve pain because the nerve was so used to firing but that it would be a quick radiating pain that would go away. This morning my back is very sore at the incision but nothing compared to the nerve pain. I had been sleeping maybe 10-20 minutes in succession before the surgery and last night I woke up 3 times to go to the bathroom but other than that I actually slept! And on my back for a good bit of it as well!

I know it's still shy of 24 hours post op but I had to post on here in case someone was going through these posts like me getting too scared and possibly skipping the surgery.

I will try to update this post because I know a lot of things can happen over time, but I just had to share! I'm smiling for the first time in over a month :)
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello MOcharlotte !
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi there! I've been searching these forums for info about this- I see that you've recently had your surgery- how are you doing a month post-op? I had insane pain a few months ago; it's lessened a bit but i have this surgery scheduled and don't know if I should do it. You're right, I'm hearing a lot of horror stories. So I"m wondering how you are feeling now? Thank you!
  • advertisement