Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

28 years old with sciatica issues, help.

im 28, with a bulging L4 disk pushing on my sciatic nerve. I have pain in my tailbone, and the left part of my buttocks is numb. I went to the ER one night to make sure I didn't badly injure something. They said the scan showed what I mentioned above. They put me on a muscle relaxer and gave me hydrocodone 5. This worked pretty well for my pain, but I got really constipated on those meds. I followed up with my primary care and he put me on prednisone and miralax, and had me stop taking the narc and muscle relaxer. I'm also on a liquid diet until my bowels clear up. I work a labor job fixing water and sewer issues for the city I live in. I'm considering getting back on narcs for the pain so I'll be able to work without so much pain, and take colace for constipation. Anyone else in the same shoes? I know my sciatica isn't as bad as others, when I'm active it doesn't hurt as bad. But sitting and resting, it starts to hurt. I already struggle with anxiety and depression, and this is only aggravating it. Any ideas on what else I could do? It'll be awhile before I can make it back to the doctor.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,

sorry to hear you're hurting like that. It's awful and no one deserves that, really. I dont have sciatica, but I do have chronic pain and i find myself constantly having to refrain from pain meds because im worried about taking too much of them. You're not alone, though. we all go through this together. For my pain, I've found it useful to have some exercises and therapy I can do at home. of course eating and sleeping well are helpful. I'm about to try some at home laser therapy for pain, I'm positive it will help. I hope you can try it too, many have reported good, positive results about it. Best of luck and know you're not alone, we are a community!!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771
    Please before you try any treatment, contact your doctor to get their approval.

What may be good for one person , can spell disaster for another
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello hurtspine88 !
    You mention going back on narcotics and taking colace.
    Please be sure you let your doctor know how you are feeling and why you want to make these changes first.
    Besides that doctor changed your orders and you want them partially changed  back, if doctor stopped narcotic and you resume taking it, you will not be covered if something happens and it's discovered in your bloodstream.

I am curious...did you not find the míralax effective? It works very differently than the colace, so doctor may have his reasons.
    Just a thought....

Please click on link for helpful information!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History